We're LumiQ - an audio-first professional education platform for CPAs. We help CPAs get their continuing professional development (CPD) hours through engaging podcasts with business leaders (the CFOs of Slack, Shopify, Yelp, Yahoo!, TD Bank, and Wealthsimple just to name a few). CPD is the yearly required learning that CPAs generally dread doing. They're tired of dealing with boring webinars, irrelevant content and product experiences that are out-of-date. That's why they've flocked to LumiQ and our mission to make professional learning enjoyable.
LumiQ is experiencing lightning growth as you would expect from a startup at our stage, but we tend not to subscribe to the mantra of ?move fast and break things.? Our goal is to build a profitable company, where our employees can learn and grow, and where customers see real value and genuinely enjoy using the product. We are building a company meant to last, and if this resonates with you, we hope you will consider joining us on our journey to transform professional education!
Pam , the Chief of Staff, you will be given the support and leeway you need to build high quality and useful HR programs and processes. At LumiQ, we are especially proud of the friendly and open culture we've built (less than 6% attrition over the past year!) and this position will have a large impact in continuing to build out and maintain that culture as we scale.
What You'll Be Responsible For:
Building and Executing LumiQ's Talent Acquisition Plan:
- Working with the Chief of Staff to plan and implement LumiQ's talent acquisition strategy
- Working with hiring mangers to create job descriptions and interview questions that reflect the requirements for each position
- Devising and implementing sourcing strategies to build pipelines of potential applicants through LinkedIn and other professional networks
- Designing and managing the recruitment and selection processes (resume screening, screening calls, interviews, salary negotiations, etc.)
- Managing respective candidate pools to ensure qualified candidates remain engaged in current or future opportunities
Owning Compliance and HR Best Practices:
- Ensuring employment standards and labor laws are upheld through policies and internal practices
- Leading and overseeing compensation strategy, including benefits administration oversight, and compensation reviews
- Act as the go-to person for all employee relations topics such as hiring and termination best practices, inquiries from employees about policies, and other matters
Creating a Strong Learning and Growth Culture:
- Creating learning and development programs that accelerate growth and skill development of all employees
- Supporting hiring managers in building out 30/60/90 day ramp and development plans for all new hires
- Overseeing our HQ office in Toronto to ensure smooth operations and a great employee experience
- Owning and overseeing the onboarding process for all new hires
- Coaching and developing leaders at all levels, manage and mitigate people-related risks to ensure retention of key employees, managing capability and high performance
- Ensuring new managers are given the tools and training to succeed in their roles
- Owning performance management, ensuring all people managers are conducting and documenting well-thought-out performance reviews that show their employees the path to progression
- Overseeing and supporting our social committee to plan events
Who You Are
- You have HR experience with a hands-on track record of success - this shouldn't be your first time in an HR or Manager level role!
- Strong understanding of the full cycle recruitment process
- Experience building out HR programs- you should have quantitative data to back up the success of these programs
- Experience working with and managing Applicant Tracking Systems
- Expertise in employee relations including up to date knowledge of Canadian and U.S. employment laws
- Strong organizational skills: We will be scaling quickly this year, so an ability to stay organized and on top of everything will be important for this role
- Strong communication skills: You will be managing a lot of conversations both internally and externally in this role. Strong communication skills will be paramount to ensuring clarity of information, effectiveness, and alignment both within the organization and when dealing with candidates
If you think your experience is most of the way there we'd still love to meet you!
Please note this is a flexible hybrid role based out of Toronto, Canada. Employees will be expected to be able to commute to the office for some team and company-based activities.
Benefits and Perks
- Flexible health benefits, including a yearly health spend account
- Weekly team social events (Super Smash Bro party, hot chocolate bar, Blue Jays game, Hot Ones Challenge, Escape Room, and our own personal ice cream truck rental to name a few...)
- Schedule flexibility. We know our employees have lives outside of work, and don't mind if you need to run to a mid-day doctor's appointment or pick up a kid early from school!
- Yearly education allowance to put towards your own professional development
- Nomad policy: Work remotely up to one month of the year from anywhere in the world!
Office space at one Canada's most well regarded startup accelerators- OneEleven (Front and John Street) which includes ping pong and foosball tables, monthly learning events, and a great opportunity to grow your personal and professional network with the dozens of other startup folks in the space
The chance to work with the world-class investors behind us, including Jean Desgagne, former CEO of GES at the TMX, Joel Lessem, Founder & CEO of Firmex, Neil Wainright, Founder and CEO of Nexonia, and Dennis Bennie, one of the Founding members of the Creative Destruction Lab.