Major Tom is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our team, our partners, and our clients. We believe that diversity contributes to the success of our business and the well-being of our employees.
Who We Are:
We are a team of industry-leading specialists hand-picked from across the globe covering the full spectrum of strategy, marketing, development, and creative. Made up of some of the brightest minds on the web, we humanize modern marketing, cutting through the noise to bring clarity to our clients.
We're committed to teamwork, inclusivity and leveraging the unique knowledge of every individual. We believe that passion and accountability are critical to delivering exceptional work. Our biggest heroes bring humility, an open mind, and a positive attitude to our team every single day. We're an informal, yet professional, group that truly cares about one another and our culture is probably articulated best on sites such as Glassdoor (https://www.glassdoor.ca/Overview/Working-at-Major-Tom-EI_IE2157894.11,20.htm), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ItsMajorTom), and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/MajorTomAgency/). We highly encourage you to check these out if you want to know the real deal.
We're fortunate enough to have an enviable roster of international clients that includes NYU, COBS Bread, Holt Renfrew, Pirelli, NBC, Orkin, KPMG, Denny's, and Cactus Club Cafe.
Who We're Looking For:
We are looking for an experienced and talented Web Developer with a passion for Back End development to join our busy team. You will be producing high-end work while collaborating with our Front End, UX and UI design teams to proactively initiate ongoing internal improvements to our technical process.
What We're Looking For:
- 5 years' minimum experience as a back end or full stack developer building clean, maintainable and scalable websites and applications
- Experience working on complex, large scale custom WordPress implementations as well as a variety of plugins
- Experience analyzing, troubleshooting, and debugging complex and interconnected systems
- In-depth understanding of the design, development, and deployment cycles in web environments
- Proven track record experience with OOP, preferably written in PHP
- Experience with PHP and server side templating engines such as Twig
- Experience working with server management tools and processes such as WHM, cPanel, phpMyAdmin, or similar
- Understanding of basic Linux/Unix commands and bash scripting
- Solid understanding of web hosting, web security and web infrastructure technologies like DNS, CDN, SSL, Linux/Apache/NGINX servers, etc
- Knowledge of best practices for site security and a passionate commitment to maintaining the health of digital assets
- Experience with project documentation and architectural/development planning
- Experience working with and consuming REST API's
- Proven track record of delivering solutions on time and on budget
- A solid understanding of SEO strategies, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager and Search Console
- Experience presenting to clients is a plus
- Experience communicating project and tasks status and any issues to stakeholders
- Some experience working with our core tool set: Composer, Packagist, NPM, Webpack/Gulp/Grunt, Git, BitBucket
What We're Looking For:
Not deal-breakers, but assets:
- Experience with Shopify as well as a variety of Shopify apps
- Experience with BigCommerce
- Understanding of WordPress Gutenberg
- Familiarity with Headless vs Monolithic systems
- Solid understanding of Responsive Design, and experience building fully responsive sites
- Working knowledge of web accessibility and WCAG 2.1 is a bonus
Some of the Benefits & Perks You'll Get:
- Paid time off and
- Flexible working hours and
- Comprehensive medical benefits, including a healthcare spending account and employee assistance program, so you can take care of yourself and your family.
- Access to LinkedIn Learning and support in your professional development because we want to help you achieve your goals.
- A wellness program including weekly meditation so you can take care of your mind.
- Regular Lunch and Learns covering a vast array of topics all designed to keep you informed on the industry and our agency.
- Access to internal committees. These committees ensure that everyone within our agency has the opportunity to learn about the different facets of our organization. Are you a project manager fascinated by work in the creative department? No problem, sign up and see how it's done.
Thanks for taking the time to check out this opportunity! Unfortunately, due to the number of applications we receive we are not able to contact everyone who applies. However, all applications are all stored in our talent database and will be considered for future opportunities.
Major Tom is committed to equal opportunity and fair treatment for all. The company prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, race, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, medical condition or any other characteristic protected by law.