The key responsibilities of this position include administrative duties:
Reporting to the Communications Lead, the Social Media Assistant will facilitate the implementation and development of social media strategies for Africa Centre's programming, community presence, and operational needs. This position will be responsible for leading strategic communications efforts that include social media planning and execution for internal and external audiences, graphic design, photography, and videography.
- Responsible for posts, replies, and general content for Africa Centre's social media channels, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, as well as any potential new media platforms.
- Work closely with Africa Centre's communication team to brainstorm, create and execute innovative social media initiatives for specific programs and campaigns.
- Use social media monitoring and analytics tools to provide reporting on online conversations and campaign metrics.
- Stay on the cutting edge of new trends and technologies and research new applications, tools and promotions to engage target demographics online.
- Post and share real-time content from Africa Centre workshops, trainings, and events.
The position requires frequent evening and weekend event management responsibilities.
Education / Experience
- Post-secondary education in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or Marketing considered an asset
- Minimum of three years of relevant professional experience.
- Strong, creative writer with strong knowledge of CP Style.
- High level of proficiency with the English language (both written and spoken).
- Able to clearly articulate messages in written and verbal communications.
- Proficient skills with Adobe Creative suite of tools (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro).
- Knowledge and experience engaging stakeholders through social media.
- Photography/videography skills and experience
- Demonstrates excellent communication, organizational and creative thinking skills.
- Able to work independently in a small, hands-on work environment.
- Familiarity with social media best practices
- Experience creating high quality, captivating, and relevant content across different mediums
- Strong communication skills
- Bilingual in French is a plus!
- Candidates must be Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
- Candidate must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
- Candidates must be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment.
- Security Clearance Check and Child & Youth Intervention Check are mandatory requirements.