Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
The creative services department is looking for a talented, energetic, and optimistic professional to fill the role of Graphic Designer. The ideal candidate has a good understanding of print production and pre-press and is plugged into social media trends and marketing. Strong interpersonal skills and ?can-do? attitude are fundamentals. The ideal designer can think inside and outside the box and express creativity without being tied to software but rather ideas and execution.
- Design newspaper and digital advertisements and promotional material.
- Work with sales representatives to determine and meet their clients' creative needs.
- Proof ads to clients and make necessary corrections in a timely fashion.
- Monitor ad queue and traffic ads and corrections to our production center.
- Assist production center by clarifying instructions or concerns as well as communicate priorities to ensure deadlines are met.
- Paginate newspapers and send press-ready PDFs to the printer.
- Design magazines.
- Work with the creative services team to develop web presence and maintain web properties.
- Assist with administrative and housekeeping tasks.
- Available to work evenings when required.
- Perform other duties as assigned including PowerPoint presentations, sales sheets, etc.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Degree or Diploma in Graphic Design or in a related field and/or equivalent work experience.
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, CSS, web design, and Microsoft Office in a MAC environment.
- Powerful people skills and a knack for communicating clearly with a variety of individuals and groups.
- Highly adaptable, positive, ?can-do? attitude, team player and open to criticism.
- High degree of initiative, organization and time management skills with extreme attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to handle multiple assignments.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Torstar Corporation remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2021, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.