Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one - your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
This role is a great opportunity for an intermediate level Administrative Assistant with responsibility that centers around partnering with the Leaders of the Ottawa-based Global Services and Global Customer Care teams and their associated organizations to ensure the efficient operation of the supported business. Regular collaboration with all parts of the organization is core to the role. It includes communications support (internal); relationship management (customers, suppliers, partners), project and event management (creation, execution); and general administration management (travel, calendar, logistics).
General Calendar/Travel/Expense Management
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks including: proactively managing an extremely active calendar of appointments, completing expense reports, compose and prepare correspondence that are sometimes confidential, arranging detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas.
- Prioritize conflicting needs, handle matters expeditiously and proactively and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures
- Leverage resources to accomplish objectives effectively and take initiative to improve the work environment and operations as needed.
- Effectively build relationships with stakeholders and team members.
- Anticipate and manage needs of the organization to enable the focus on strategic decision-making while minimizing the leaderships' involvement in administrative items
- Work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and be able to work under pressure at times to handle, with discretion, a wide variety of associated activities
- Responsible for internal event management which includes but is not limited to scheduling and managing logistics (including venue selection, technology (all-hands set up, video conferencing, etc), agenda preparation and distribution, reservation coordination, interface with IT, etc.)
- Develop and coordinate presentations/visuals (including creating, formatting materials for presentations using PowerPoint, Word and Excel), disseminating information, developing agendas, and preparing minutes of meetings
Other Administrative Duties
- Transcribe and create clear and detailed meeting summaries, minutes, and action registers from upper management meetings and events
- Running occasional business-related errands on behalf of the organization
- Coordinating supplies & office equipment
- Ability to anticipate the needs of the organization, take initiative to put actions in place and track them to completion.
- Have a sense of ownership of all responsibilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to quickly transcribe verbal meetings into meeting summaries, minutes, and actions.
- Tact and diplomacy. Established record of trust in handling confidential information.
- Dedicated focus on continuous improvement with the ability to drive it throughout the organization.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and follow through quickly and efficiently.
- Demonstrable technical savvy, ability to understand our business and the technology that we use to support our organization and customers.
- Ability to organize work into strategic workstreams and project manage to completion for self, leadership staff and others.
- Flexibility / Ability to work independently; willingness to have flexible hours and ability to commute to the Ottawa office as required
- Proven collaborator demonstrated by the ability to develop strong internal and external working relationships
- Expert in office technology and procedures: PC proficiency, Microsoft Office software suite skills
- High school diploma, Bachelor's Degree preferred.
This position is in Ottawa. There is a requirement to commute and work out of the Ottawa Ciena campus as required to support the organization.
Ciena is a network strategy and technology company with a passion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome. We attract the best and brightest- those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People.
Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering their passion and purpose. We trust each individual to do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world. With Ciena's highly innovative, forward-thinking business practices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries. Unlock your potential at Ciena!
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual's strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination. Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
We do not charge any fee for employment and the same applies to the Recruitment Partners we work with. Additionally, we do not ask for any refundable security deposit to be paid in bank accounts for employment purposes. We request candidates to be cautious of misleading communications and not pay any fee/ deposit to individuals/ agencies/ employment portals on the pretext of attending Ciena's interview process or seeking employment with us.