Manager, Strategy and Communications
Duration of Contract (if applicable)
Full-time Equivalency (FTE)
$52,669 - $72,260 per annum
This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Job Design Unit in approximately six months.
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada's leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region's intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our more than 20,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Dalhousie Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) is the premier Maritime location for advanced study with over 3,500 graduate students in a research-intensive environment who can choose from over 95 Master's degrees and more than 45 Doctoral programs. Students learn with top professors in their fields; experts who are recognized across Canada and the world. Reporting to the Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies, the Manager, Strategy and Communications oversees communications and marketing activities related to the University's strategic priority related to graduate enrolment and recruitment.
- Originate and direct communications activities in support of improving student engagement and retention including, but not limited to, admissions, orientation, professional development, and convocation.
- Manage communications, marketing, or special projects from concept to completion, including the entire project cycle - developing project management plans, creating, and chairing committees or working groups, overseeing project work and budget, and delivering final product to the Dean or other project sponsors.
- Conduct thorough, marketing-based research in partnership with the Communications, Marketing and Creative Services (CMC) to inform the University's graduate student recruitment marketing strategies.
- Partner with CMC in creation of recruitment marketing materials that are persuasive to prospective students, support the attainment of recruitment targets and meet the recruitment needs of faculty, staff and others conducting graduate student recruitment activities on behalf of the University.
- Manage and oversee the maintenance of the Faculty's web presence, including oversight of the website content, email marketing and social media channels.
- Fully manage a Communications Clerk and a Social Media Assistant, which includes hiring, performance management, and delegation of work.
The successful candidate will be required to provide proof of full vaccination or may seek an accommodation from Dalhousie's vaccine requirements on grounds protected under provincial human rights legislation. Visit the Campus Check website for more information.
The successful applicant will be eligible for hybrid work (combination of work on campus and remote work) as agreed by all parties based on operational requirements and university guidelines.
Undergraduate degree in public relations, communications, or marketing, plus five years' progressive experience in a marketing, and/or communications context, preferably in a post-secondary or other large institutional environment (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Master's degree or professional accreditation in one of these fields would be an asset. Experience using communications strategies to improve and enhance student experience an asset. Demonstrated ability to manage large and small projects (including budgets) autonomously is required, as well as the ability to provide clear direction to a broad range of staff and service providers. Strong presentation skills are key.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie's core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
- Respect & Inclusion
- Knowledge & Thinking Skills
- Thinking and Acting Strategically
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Applications from current university employees and external candidates are assessed concurrently. Current university employees will be given special consideration.
We sincerely appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly by the hiring department or Human Resources.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant