Are you curious about design and love to look beyond the surface to explore big picture concepts? Are you open-minded, willing to try new things, and comfortable taking feedback on your work? Do you look for solutions to problems, and think logistically and critically about how to make something work? Are you able to successfully communicate your ideas and concepts, and clearly articulate the meaning behind your designs?
If your answer to these questions is yes, then please continue reading!
Our highly-skilled Marketing and Communications team is looking for an outstanding Graphic Designer.
This position is responsible for implementation and maintenance of the College brand and graphic standards internally and externally to our various stakeholders, including prospective students, guidance counsellors and other student influencers, government, agencies, professional associations, current employees, business community, current students, donors, and prospective employees. The Graphic Designer is responsible for contributing to the development of all College collaterals from concept to completion, including assistance with trafficking.
Academic & Service Departments Projects
- Responsible for the graphic implementation of the creative brief, balancing department requests while upholding brand integrity and College marketing & business strategies.
- Maintains protocols that ensure successful production of a wide variety of collateral material including handbills, brochures, booklets, college-wide templates (brochures, posters, signs, ads), viewbooks, course guides, folders, annual reports, reports to community, advertising (print, electronic, online), posters, signage, and videos.
- Provides creative solutions for meeting objectives and goals for each project.
- Responsible to provide technical and creative expertise during discussions with print and electronic suppliers to develop detailed, complex project specifications.
- Presents, persuades, and justifies creative solutions to various internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible to provide innovative creative graphic solutions that align with client needs in terms of creative message, budget, and timelines.
Student Recruitment Campaigns
- Executes the graphic development of the trimester-based student recruitment campaigns, mindful of the College Business Plan, department marketing plans, M+C Plans, and all research on market trends and prospective student personas.
- Relies on broad skill set and breadth of knowledge and experience to provide ongoing and current expertise in all relevant media channels such as digital media, online, print, transit, television, and video
- o develop campaign concepts
- Presents, persuades, and justifies creative solution to various to the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Applies concepts to appropriate advertising medium.
- Interacts with various College stakeholders to ensure accuracy of campaign direction and adherence to creative brief.
Large-Scale College Projects (i.e., Course Guide, Annual Report, Report to Community, ViewBook)
- Under the direction of the Marketing & Communications Director and using such documents as the College Business Plan, the Marketing Plan, and creative briefs, the Graphic Designer recommend, establish, and maintain conceptual and stylistic direction for the College's corporate identity, brand, and marketing and communications collateral.
- The Graphic Designer consults with the Director, and appropriate members of the team at various points within the project
- Responsible to ensure these consultations bring about a clear and concise understanding of the demographic, psychographic, geographic, and project details required to build strategic and effective marketing and communication collateral.
- Guides and/or implements all graphic executions.
- Maintains a strict adherence to the creative brief.
- Recommends, establishes, and maintains the College's corporate identity, brand integrity, and visual standards on all corporate and department projects.
- Relies on broad skill set and breadth of knowledge and experience within the graphic design and marketing fields.
- Maintains the College's Visual Identity Guidelines and Standards Manual.
- Researches leading edge graphic trends and best practices within the worldwide graphic design industry.
What you'll need to have:
- 4 years of experience
- Familiarity working with photographers, videographers, illustrators and other creative vendors and partners
- Comfortable presenting creative concepts and ideas to clients and stakeholders
- Understanding of common marketing practices
- Comfortable working with cross functional teams
- Superior problem-solving attitude, with the propensity to articulate your design decisions
- Ability to give and solicit feedback from other designers and stakeholders in order to continually improve the quality of work
- Knowledge of design for web and digital
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS
- Be fluent with the usual suspects (Adobe Suite)
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
- Strong portfolio of your graphic design work
- 6 years of experience
- Agency experience or in-house experience preferred
- Proven experience working collaborately and successfully with other graphic designers
- Demonstrated ability to receive and implement creative direction
- Proven experience and demonstrated ability working within budget and time parameters
- An eye for layout and typography, and creative flair
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience in the management of design projects from concept to completion
- Comfort designing under tight deadlines and have a healthy respect for deadlines
- Knowledge of design for web and digital
- Strong understanding of graphic design principles, methods, current trends and practices, as well as all phases of design, production, and delivery for digital and print materials
- Experience influencing design direction and working collaboratively to solve graphic challenges and opportunities
- Ability to convey and communicate ideas through writing, verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability to collaborate across the team with strong interpersonal skills
Building/Nurturing/Fostering Relationships & Organization-wide Perspective
- Builds rapport to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and stakeholders and gains their trust and respect.
- Is open-minded when different perspectives are presented.
- Is open to and adapts well to change and is not knocked off balance by the unexpected.
- Communicates effectively with colleagues and others to support the implementation of change.
- Demonstrates commitment and support of the College in day-to-day interactions with stakeholders and clients.
- Models a positive image to others both inside and outside the organization.
Critical Decision Making
- Views situations from a broad perspective rather than just their own.
- Anticipates multiple possible causes and consequences of events.
Open Communication/ Listening
- Discusses with supervisor any potential upcoming challenges in their day to day work.
- Maintains respectful, open communications with supervisors, co-workers and colleagues, in order to share both information.
If this sounds like you, please send us your resume, impressive portfolio, and cover letter.
This is a continuous, Exempt position. Please note all successful candidates will be required to provide copies of government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire and may be required to provide an enhanced police information check.
Minimum Education Requirements
- CA (Primary)
FTE Per Individual (%)
Commensurate with experience