Competition number: J0721-0682
Department: Digital Experiences + Design
Status: Full-Time continuing
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (35 hours per week)
Annual/hourly salary: $55,600 - $72,000 (position with benefits and pension plan)
Closing date: August 8, 2021
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
It is the National Arts Centre’s goal to be a more welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQ2+ community and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
The incumbent may be required to work remotely either full-time or in a hybrid fashion until the end of the pandemic. All necessary working tools needed to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of this position will be provided to the employee for this purpose.
Canada is our stage.
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is Canada’s bilingual, multi-disciplinary home for the performing arts. The NAC presents, creates, produces, and co-produces performing arts programming in various streams—the NAC Orchestra, Dance, English Theatre, French Theatre, Indigenous Theatre, and Popular Music and Variety. The Centre also invests and nurtures in our next generation of audiences and artists from across Canada. Our vision is to lead and support the renewal of the Canadian performing arts sector over the next three years, as detailed in The Next Act, the NAC’s strategic plan for 2020-2023. Through collaboration and investment in creation, production, co-production, and dissemination, along with a heightened focus on community engagement, learning, and innovation, the NAC will shape a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future for the performing arts in Canada.
The Digital Experiences + Design team is responsible for the complete design and development lifecycle of the NAC’s web-based products and services, audio/video broadcast studio, and digital media installations, including the Kipnes Lantern.
The Digital Experiences + Design Team at the NAC has grown into a strong team, with expertise in user experience design, content strategy, software development and analysis, interaction and content design, and audio and video production. As our projects grow in scale, so must our team.
We are looking for an experienced Front End Designer to round out our team and help us create delightful, meaningful, and impactful experiences for our online audiences. The ideal candidate will be a creative and innovative designer that can transform their ideas into production-ready code. The incumbent will be routinely embedded on a wide range of projects that include the NAC’s website, email templates, creating integrations with the NAC’s ticketing and CRM platforms, and supporting livestreamed events.
While working on the Digital Experiences + Design team, the Front-End Designer will have the opportunity to:
- Collaborate within a multidisciplinary team of designers, developers, animators, videographers and engineers to deliver meaningful and memorable digital experiences for the NAC’s online audiences,
- Design and develop creative online solutions that support the delivery of digital programming to national and international users across a variety of devices,
- Provide support to the Senior Project Manager to resolve any technical issues with the web platform,
- Create online learning modules for school programs,
- Create impactful landing pages for marketing campaigns,
- Create engaging microsites for online products and services,
- Develop web templates and forms using ExpressionEngine,
- Craft front-end interactions using CSS and jQuery,
- Contribute to the ongoing development of NAC’s design pattern library,
- Assist with developing, maintaining and documenting the NAC’s web guidelines and best practices.
- Recent* experience designing, and coding production-ready responsive websites focused on serving transactional and informational needs,
- Significant** work experience designing user-centred web solutions that support product marketing, event promotion, online learning, fundraising, hospitality, or related industries,
- Strong attention to detail and a passion for creating beautiful and frictionless mobile and desktop experiences,
- Experience designing in tools like Sketch, Figma and Miro,
- Familiarity with APIs from web services like YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook,
- Experience working in agile and cross-functional teams practicing continuous releases processes, including planning, implementation, testing, documenting, deployment, and maintenance,
- Strong interpersonal skills and a positive can-do attitude,
- Strong problem solving and solution finding skills,
- Ability to identify, communicate and mitigate risks to project success,
- Ability to multitask with strong-time management and organizational skills,
- Ability to identify and evaluate emerging technologies and remain current with web development and online communication trends,
- Bilingual in both English and French, verbal and written,
- Experience or knowledge of Agile principles is an asset,
- Experience working with ecommerce and ticketing platforms would be an asset.
*Recent denotes experience normally acquired within the last five (5) years.
**Significant experience is defined as the depth and breadth of experience normally associated with full-time performance of duties for a minimum period of three (3) years.
PLEASE NOTE: We ask that you provide concrete examples of experience and knowledge to help us evaluate your application. If you do not provide sufficient examples, your application may be screened out from this hiring process.
WHO CAN APPLY:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
All communication will be conducted through email and interviews via videoconferencing. Please ensure to have the most up-to-date information on your resume including your current email address.
If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation for an interview or written exam, please advise us when initially contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide the original or a certified true copy of their education credentials as appropriate, along with proof of a valid Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted by us.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter and resume online through our ‘Careers Opportunities’ website at https://nac-cna.ca/en/careers.
CONNECT WITH US!