The University of the Fraser Valley Student Union Society (SUS) is a BC Not-For-Profit Society representing and serving UFV students. The Society manages the Student Union Building and facilitates services such as the UFV U-PASS, food services, and the student health and dental plan. SUS also provides support to an active community by organizing events and provides wellness and developmental programming. As the official representative body of UFV students, our mission is to be an inclusive community that provides high-quality, accessible programs and services. We are the unified voice advocating on behalf of student interests in the UFV community, ensuring each student has opportunities to thrive.
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week (Mon-Fri)
Reporting to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Digital Communications Coordinator and Website & Content Assistant
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES OF THE COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING MANAGER
The Manager has responsibility for a variety of functions, including but not limited to the following outlined below:
- Lead the strategic alignment and long-term planning of the Communications and IT Team by establishing team goals and implementing the SUS strategic plan and policies;
- Provide leadership to staff that write, edit, and fact-check content including, but not limited to, press releases, speeches, speaking notes, internal communications, and external stakeholder outreach;
- Ensure communications are correct in terms of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and editorial style while maintaining consistent tone and voice;
- Oversee creation of social media content, monitoring online presence, and engagement;
- Monitor, measure, and report on the effectiveness of initiatives, track metrics and look for trends in data to guide the communications strategy.
- Oversee the IT and AV assets of SUS, acting as the key liaison to our third-party email host and IT equipment provider, to ensure the effectiveness of all IT operations and equipment;
- Schedule and communicate regular IT updates and evaluate applications used by SUS;
- Utilize digital media scheduling tools and develop social media plans that support organizational goals while advancing the mandate of individual departments;
- Manage the public relations and media relations including media contact lists, creating press releases, emailing students, and developing good relationships with the University;
- Lead the development and procurement of promotional and marketing materials for print, multimedia, web, and social media platforms (logos, posters, brochures, presentations, templates, signage, video animations, digital advertising, and graphics);
- Manage the execution of brand standards and ensure consistency across all marketing platforms;
- Develop strategies and plans to increase brand awareness and positive recognition of SUS in all communication;
- Responsible for overseeing the ongoing maintenance and development of the SUS website;
- Monitor statistics of website and social media usage, campaign analysis, click through performance, etc;
- Ensure technical functioning of platforms for Virtual & Live Events hosted by SUS
- Maintain and promote a positive and inclusive work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment;
- Adhere to UFV and SUS bylaws, policies, and procedures;
- Other projects and duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Education and Work Experience: A University Degree in a relevant discipline (Communications, Marketing, Design or Public Relations are preferred) with a minimum of 3 years work experience;
- Management Experience: Strong team leadership and management skills including performance monitoring, goal setting, and mentorship;
- Marketing and Communication: Demonstrated experience and highly developed skills in communications, marketing, and brand management. Strong editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional and creative writing skills are essential;
- Social and Digital Media: Demonstrated experience with social media platforms management, digital media content creation, including video and animation with social media analytics and data management;
- Website Management: Experience maintaining and editing Squarespace)
- Information Technology: Working knowledge of computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases, and data storage systems;
- Interpersonal Communication: Strong interpersonal communication including the ability to provide constructive feedback to project stakeholders and communicate expectations effectively. Comfortable conducting outreach to external community partners by phone, email, and attending local events;
- Planning and Time Management: Superior project and time management skills with excellent organizational and planning capabilities.
- Adaptability and Judgment: Ability to quickly adapt to changing environments, problem-solving skills, and an innovative mindset including exercising good judgment and decision making and;
- Knowledge of University and Student Union Environment: Knowledge of the UFV campus including the structure of SUS and its policies will be considered an asset.
- Applicant must have current eligibility to work in Canada.
SALARY: $55,000 plus comprehensive benefits.
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 4th June 2021
The UFV Student Union Society is proudly committed to creating a diverse environment. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.