Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Specialist produces compelling digital and print content and publications to
help share the stories of University College of the North. The position provides general communications support as part of the communications team.
Audiences are both external and internal, most notably potential students, community and government stakeholders, media, and alumni. The Communications
Specialist will work collaboratively with the Director of Communications to implement an integrated recruitment marketing strategy on behalf of the University
College of the North. This individual will serve as a key departmental resource for implementing a social media strategy for recruiting students to UCN. Duties
include writing for different media channels and digital content creation. Fundamental skills in writing, photography, video production and graphic design are
relevant to the position.
- Undergraduate Liberal Arts degree (e.g. Journalism, Marketing, Communications, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated presentation skills
- Excellent research abilities
- Experience with software applications, Microsoft Office, online platforms and phone apps to aid in graphic design, video editing, word processing,
document layout, and spreadsheets
- Experience using a smartphone and DSLR camera for creating relevant picture and video content
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to understand and to deal with issues specific to Indigenous learners and mature students in northern communities
- Experience and/or knowledge and understanding of Indigenous cultures
- The ability to speak an Indigenous language
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada ? Candidates must be willing to travel and possess a valid driver's license
? Must possess a high degree of flexibility
Applicants must provide a resume, cover letter and a portfolio providing samples of work. The portfolio could include examples in journalism,
writing, social media, video, graphic design, event management, general marketing and more.
Applicants must demonstrate on their resume how they meet the qualifications.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates. Applicants are
invited to indicate in their covering letter or resume if they are from any of the following groups: Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities,
or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given
Competition Number: 21-035
Closing Date: June 9, 2021; however, will remain open until filled
Salary Range: $25.28 to $34.45 hourly, plus remoteness allowance