Mission for this Position:
At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world's most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else.
We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Reporting to the Manager, Stakeholder Relations, the Communications Specialist manages all internal and external corporate communication of the Company. Develop and advance communication strategies, working with internal clients, and prepare a variety of communication materials intended to drive company messages to key internal and external stakeholders
- using online and print capabilities. Manage the media relations portfolio and social media content marketing: draft news releases, media statements, answers media inquiries, plans media opportunity events, prepares a strategic, social media calendar and manages all content marketing.
The Communications Specialist is a strategic thinker, with strong attention to detail, and works well in a fast-paced environment.
Manage Baffinland's marketing efforts with respect to raising the Company's profile by strategically producing and placing paid advertising in publications, Conference and Tradeshow participation, and company promotional products (swag).
- Ensure the production of consistent, on-brand, effective and high quality communication with all stakeholders, both internal and external, including via various social media platforms, maintaining and updating website content, writing and editing newsletters, corporate highlights, and the digital database management of photos, video, and audio material.
- Brand management, both internally and externally
- Support leaders in communicating across a variety of internal communications platforms. This may include, but is not limited to, the development of content and structure for Baffinland's intranet and employee communication App for all employees
- Strategic planning, executing and soliciting executive alignment for organizational events. This may include Town Halls, Trade shows and campaigns.
- Media Relations: Build and maintain relationships with business and local media, answer media inquiries, produce media statements, news releases, develop media plans and create media opportunities to promote Baffinland.
- Responsible for supporting the corporate objective of establishing Baffinland's Mission, Vision and Values within all aspects of company communications, including embedding the critical importance of Health & Safety into Baffinland's corporate culture (Branded H&S campaigns, posters, H&S Days and advertisements).
- Lead communications initiatives to successfully enable/empower Baffinland's team of northern Community Liaison Officers to develop to their full potential and contribute significant value to the Mary River Project.
- Oversight of communications design and cascade methodology for all announcements, programs and other important employee and organizational information. Review various departmental documents to ensure brand and message consistency across all departments.
- Establish and effectively communicate to all employees/contractors/effected stakeholders Policy, Protocol and Practices across the Baffinland organization relating to communications cycles, frequency, best practices and forums, allowing for continuity and consistency across all organizational messaging.
- Maintaining communications calendar for all corporate communications (internal and external) related documents, such as newsletter deadlines, recurring event schedules and rolling weekly and monthly internal communications (including content for Human Resources (HR) updates, Health Safety Environment and Security (HSEST) notices, Operations updates, community engagements, etc.)
- Provide communications support to all departments and other key stakeholders. In particular, support the Company's fulfillment of IIBA communication requirements using a variety of communication vehicles. Main Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Corporate communications, public relations, journalism or related field required
- Content management platforms (i.e. Sprout Social, HooteSuite) experience required
- Adobe Creative Suite for graphics experience required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer capabilities to produce content, Power Point presentations, some graphics
- Strong social media capabilities: online writing, content management platforms (i.e. Sprout Social), and content marketing tools, strategic use of a variety of channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube) and analytical
- Strong verbal and written communication, as well as above average listening skills to interface with diverse groups of people, client service and to make presentations
- Experience in working with internal and external business partners to achieve communications goals
- Experience in writing and producing internal and external communications content
- Experience in media relations, community outreach and other public relations areas
- Ability to work on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and produce quality deliverables on time