Staff - Non Union
Job CategoryM&P - AAPS
Job ProfileAAPS Salaried - Marketing and Sales, Level A
Job TitleGeering Up Marketing & Communications Coordinator
DepartmentGeering Up & Outreach Program | Dean's Office | Faculty of Applied Science
Compensation Range4,341.17 - $6,253.75 CAD Monthly
Posting End DateJuly 11, 2022
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is responsible for the development of communication and outreach strategies to enhance UBC Geering Up Engineering Outreach's reputation, brand awareness, student engagement, industry relations and sponsorship.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator will work in collaboration with the Geering Up administrative team and the Applied Science MarCom Team to implement a multi-media communications strategy. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of all Geering Up-related marketing and communication-related activities, developing marketing materials for event promotion, promoting student staff recruitment, stakeholder engagement, and raising Geering Up's profile and brand awareness to driving event/camp sales.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is responsible for ensuring all promotional materials align with the Faculty of Applied Science and Geering Up guidelines. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator typically works a standard day; however, flexibility is required, as some responsibilities may require an irregular schedule, including evenings or weekends.
UBC Geering Up Engineering Outreach is a non-profit organization focused on promoting engineering, as well as other STEM disciplines to the children and youth of British Columbia through fun, innovative and hands-on experiments and projects. Geering Up also strives to reach all children and youth, regardless of gender, ethnicity, culture, or socio-economic status. Over the past 25 years, Geering Up has reached over 150,000 youth.
- This role works with Geering Up's Senior Manager and Director of Marketing and Recruitment to develop the strategy for marketing and communications of Geering Up programs. Implements the digital marketing and communications strategies for Geering Up.
- Responsible for driving engagement and sales for camps, workshops and other Geering Up offerings event offerings; develops marketing messages, audience identification, and tactics.
- Develops event promotional materials and coordinates the marketing and communications of all events organized by Geering Up, working closely with the Program Assistant Managers and student employees.
- Manages Geering Up's online presence, including developing and maintaining program website and social media accounts. Develops and executes the social media model and strategy, including social media activities, resources, structure, and best practices; responsible for implementation of a strong and vibrant online community through Geering Up's social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts.
- Works with Associate Director for Marketing and Recruitment to develop digital marketing and remarketing advertising, search and other campaigns and measurement. Proactively identify opportunities to engage with student influencers (teachers, parents, counsellors, etc.).
- Responsible for producing or contracting graphic design, illustration work and infographics in support of online, print, and digital projects that enhance the unit's brand and reporting. Develops, supports, and/or oversees the development of communication and marketing materials for Geering Up programming, including written promotional material for web and social media, posters, brochures, newsletters, digital signage and other signage as needed. Co-ordinates distribution of promotional materials for schools across BC and wider community, including in print and digital format.
- Monitors analytics and develops metrics and dashboards; measures ROI for participation in engagement, event registrations and social media sites and for integrating user-generated content into the website.
- Coordinates and/or produces photography and video content as needed and identified in communication plans, may engage and work with campus partners to produce such content.
- Oversee a team of 4-6 work learn student staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is responsible for producing content that will be viewed by parents, teachers, students and other stakeholder groups across BC and Canada. Poor management of such content, particularly on social media and the website, will have a negative impact on Geering Up, the Faculty, and the university. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is also responsible for coordinating deadline-driven projects and tasks, failure to meet such deadlines could result in lost revenue for Geering Up and a negative impact on our reputation.
Works under direction from the Geering Up School Programs Assistant Manager, the Senior Manager Geering Up & Outreach, works closely with the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications and receives strategic direction from the Director, Marketing and Communications within defined policies and procedures. Work is reviewed in terms of soundness of judgment and conformity with policy.
Oversees a team of work learn student web developers, content creators and graphic designers.
Diploma in Marketing. Minimum of one year of related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. A University degree in a relevant discipline such as marketing, communications, journalism, media relations, PR, or marketing/communication related areas is preferred. Minimum four years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Demonstrated project management skills and a proven track record in coordinating multiple marketing and communications projects. Working knowledge of contemporary marketing and communications strategies and practices. Experience in using online and social media platforms for marketing. Experience in Google Analytics, AdWords and Facebook Ads is a plus. Experience with digital imaging, digital audio/video editing and/or familiarity with a variety of graphics and/or digital video editing packages. Ability to compose correspondence, reports, presentations, and other written materials using clear concise business English. Ability to accurately proofread for spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Ability to exercise tact and discretion. Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment. Ability to effectively prioritize, organize and schedule workload, work under pressure, meet budget limitations and deadlines. Commitment to anti-racism and inclusive excellence, and ability to apply an intersectional anti-racist lens to communications projects. Ability to recognize, respect and work effectively with individuals and groups with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Takes initiative in learning about language and issues relating to equity and diversity.
Knowledge of the Freedom of Protection of Privacy Act. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
All Geering Up staff must have a Criminal Record Check on file before they may begin work.