McGill-Queen’s University Press is today one of North America’s leading and most respected and forward-looking scholarly presses, publishing around 150 titles per year and on track within two years to originate a minimum of 160-170 titles, including monographs, trade, and course adoption titles. The books are simultaneously available in print, electronic (PDF and ePUB), POD, and some in audio format. The Press has offices in Montreal, Kingston, and the UK and, while it is a separate not-for-profit corporation from its parent universities (McGill and Queen’s), it supports their research and dissemination missions by publishing Canadian and international authors for a global community of scholars, students, and educated readers. Sales are currently split more or less equally between Canada and international markets and our vision plan calls for an increase in sales internationally, especially the US and UK/Europe.
MQUP has undergone a period of rapid expansion and we require an energetic, achievement-oriented Marketing Manager who will bring to the Press new ideas and collaborate with an exceptional team of publishing professionals. As part of the senior management team of the Press, the individual will actively participate in decisions related to the direction and focus of our publishing program. This position reports to the Executive Director of the Press and oversees a department of six full-time individuals, plus students and other part-time help. The position would be based in Montreal, one of North America’s most livable, affordable, and culturally rich cities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop and implement both short- and long-term strategic sales and marketing plans to achieve, or exceed revenue goals.
- Oversee domestic and international book sales (print and digital), with particular growth in the US and UK/European markets, and all aspects of marketing (i.e. publicity, online and social media marketing, advertising, promotion, print and digital marketing materials, and exhibits) for approximately 150 new originated books each year and a backlist of 4,000 active titles.
- Oversee e-commerce website including any updates or redesigns.
- Responsible for the marketing budget and work in concert with the Executive Director, Finance and Business Manager, Editor-in-Chief, Production Manager, and others to establish sales and profitability goals and capitalization requirements.
- Oversee bibliographic metadata generation and transmission.
- Work with the editorial department, Executive Director, and Finance and Business Manager to establish sales projections, format, and pricing for new books, reprints, and new editions.
- University degree - a post-graduate degree, while not necessary, would be desirable.
- 5 - 8 years’ experience in marketing and/or sales management at a scholarly, professional, or trade publisher.
- Demonstrated success in developing effective marketing and sales programs for North America, UK/Europe, and internationally.
- Excellent communicator in both written and spoken English.
- Proven ability to establish positive relationships with authors, press colleagues, customers, sales reps, and publishing partners in and outside the academy.
- Experience in motivating and leading teams in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to think strategically about the rapidly evolving role of scholarly, trade and educational publishing.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Spoken French desirable, but not a prerequisite.
For more information and to apply please visit: https://mcgill.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/mcgill_careers/job/Sherbrooke-1010/Marketing-Manager---Associate-Director_JR0000012575
Deadline for applications is Friday, June 18, 2021.