Department/Program : Communications and Public Affairs, Communications & Public Affairs
Type of Employment: Temporary Hourly FT long-assignment (100% FTE) until 06/28/2022 x 1 position(s)
Req ID: 113472
Union Status: Non-union, Management/Non Union Bargaining Unit
Compensation: $21.9767 - $27.4709 /hour
Posting Date: May 28, 2021
Closing Date: June 6, 2021
Start Date: 06/28/2021
IWK Health is an internationally recognized and respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million women, children, youth and families across the Atlantic region. The IWK is committed to a workplace where our staff, physicians, learners and volunteers reflect the patients, families and communities that we serve. We seek and encourage applicants who reflect our broad diversity, and we are committed to reducing barriers to employment and career growth.
Reporting to the Manager, Communications & Public Affairs with functional direction from Communications Coordinator and Specialists, the Communications Officer provides day-to-day support to the entire Communications and Public Affairs team. The role works alongside a team of six Communications professionals and actively collaborates with the IWK Foundation.
The Communications Officer writes stories and takes photos for the weekly internal newsletter, posts messages to Pulse Intranet and prepares content for social media, and Your IWK blog as necessary. The Communications Officer maintains a high degree of confidentiality, has a keen interest in the field, is an excellent writer and displays sound judgement and a patient and family-centered mindset. The Communications Officer manages their work efficiently and effectively, and delivers results against set goals. They accept responsibility for their actions and demonstrate flexibility in meeting the needs of the team.
The additional day-to-day support will allow other team members to focus on important departmental projects and dedicate time to proactive initiatives.
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday; 75 hours bi-weekly. Supports on-call requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Public Relations or specific post-secondary training in a Communications program, or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (word, Excel, Outlook), Adobe products and basic content management systems for web.
- Basic knowledge of video production, photography, photo editing, and graphic design.
- Excellent communications skills essential.
- Strong understanding of public relations best-practices required.
- Proficiency in social media applications required.
- Effectively determines day-to-day priorities and uses foresight to ensure efficient time management to meet deadlines and accommodate planned and unplanned events.
- Pays close attention to detail in completing all aspects of the position.
- Competency in other languages an asset; French preferred.
Thank you for your interest with the IWK Health. Please sign in to create a profile and set-up Job Alerts for positions of interest.
Please Note: If you are an employee of the IWK Health Centre, please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant. Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.