Requisition ID: 254961
Posting End Date: June 17, 2021
Site: Shared Health
Work Location: Flexible in Manitoba
Department / Unit: Strategic Communications and Stakeholder Relations
Job Stream: Non-Clinical
Union: SH Exempt
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Anticipated Shift: Days
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Shared Health leads the planning and coordinates the integration of patient-centered clinical and preventive health services across Manitoba. The organization also delivers some province-wide health services and supports centralized administrative and business functions for Manitoba health organizations.
Communications preserves and enhances the reputation of the organization and supports programs and service areas in meeting the needs of their patients, clients, partners and other key stakeholders.
We currently have two opportunities for communications & engagement specialists at Shared Health, who will have a focus on supporting communications and engagement for patients and health care workers.
Under the general direction of the provincial lead, strategic communications and stakeholder relations, the communications & engagement specialist will:
- Develop, coordinate and implement effective culturally safe patient, community and public communication and engagement strategies.
- With direction, liaise with health service delivery organizations to build awareness of provincial services.
- With direction, support the development and updating of materials and resources for health care providers, clients and members of the public.
- Develop and keep up to date, public and provider facing service information
- including website and intranet content, pamphlets, reports, and signage.
- Contribute to engagement activities focused on engaging communities (including Indigenous communities), patients and their families, and health care workers. This will include a focus on prevention and health education.
- Support recruitment, retention, outreach and health education activities intended to foster a diverse and inclusive workforce representative of Manitoba's population, including Indigenous communities by contributing to the development of materials for job fairs/exhibits and workforce development in collaboration with partners and service delivery organizations.
- Support the creation of a culturally-safe environment through the development of culturally relevant and appropriate communications resources.
- Contribute to a robust content calendar to support engagement and awareness activities, story-telling and service promotion across a variety of platforms.
- Contribute to story-telling content focused on patient/client services, staff wellness activities and supports the development of social media content.
- Research and support development of appropriate and timely responses to media inquiries as part of the management of daily media requests, working closely with Senior Media Relations and Communications Specialists and subject matter experts.
- Support the development of key messages, presentation materials, issues sheets and speaking notes to support assigned service areas.
- Support the planning and execution of media events, press conferences, town hall style virtual meetings and other public information and engagement opportunities, including support for logistics and materials development (news release, key messages, web copy).
- Contribute as part of a team supporting enterprise communications for the organization, program and for sites and service areas; including activities to develop and maintain organizational reputation, staff engagement, community engagement, organizational publications and media management.
- Support the implementation of communication plans including patient/client/resident communications and provider/health care worker communications.
- Develop clear, concise and easy to understand communications materials appropriate for varied audiences.
- 3 years of experience in a communications or engagement position requiring media and issues management, communications planning, and community engagement preferably in a corporate, government and/or health care setting.
- 3 years of experience with supporting diverse communication and engagement projects, including experience developing, leading and implementing complex and integrated communications plans.
- 3 years of experience focused on strategic communication and/or engagement planning initiatives.
- 3 years of experience working with internal and external stakeholders.
- 2 years of experience preparing public presentations and coordinating event organization and management, preparing speaking notes, patient and public information as well as internal communication for staff.
- Post-secondary certificate and/or diploma in communications, business administration, human resources, public relations or related discipline from an accredited educational institution required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of and experience working with diverse populations, culture and customs will be considered an asset.
- Superior oral and written communications skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior skills in writing and editing.
- Confident presentation skills and experience delivering materials to senior management and executive-level leaders.
- Proven ability to distill complex and detailed information into high-level plain language messaging.
- Political acumen, adaptability and issues management expertise to develop and implement corporate level initiatives and to respond to health system issues which can be public, urgent and sensitive.
- Ability to integrate communications and business management principles.
- Skilled at negotiating and influencing best practice communications to a varied audience.
- Ability to work well independently, including proven time-management skills. Ability to collaborate as part of a team and able to work effectively with staff at all levels within the organization.
- Proven track record of integrity and trust, with the ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information.
- Demonstrated comprehensive front-line leadership capabilities. The provincial health system in Manitoba has adopted the LEADS in a Caring Environment framework.
- Must be able to work safely in a typical computerized office environment with frequent meetings, and to lift and carry items of up to approximately 25 pounds.
- Prolonged periods of desk work and meetings, within a largely virtual office environment in line with COVID-19 physical distancing and public health requirements.
- The position holder must have a valid Manitoba driver's license and use of a personal motor vehicle for regular travel within the province where public transport is not available.
- This position will involve periods where being accessible in irregular or off hours is required.
We have a unique ability to work together to make health care better. If you want to make a difference and contribute to supporting the health of your family, friends and neighbours, please apply today.
Interested candidates should select the "Apply" icon below to upload their cover letter, resume and copy of licenses/certification.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions in Shared Health that combine to equal more than 1.0 FTE.
Shared Health values and supports employment equity and workplace diversity and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.