Score Media and Gaming Inc. empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app ?theScore' is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. The Company's sports betting app ?theScore Bet' delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting experience and is currently available to place wagers in New Jersey, Colorado, and Indiana. Publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (SCR), theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social, and esports platforms.
Who We're Looking For:
We're looking for a hungry and inquisitive go-getter with a proven track record of finding and telling captivating stories through written features and analysis. The ideal candidate possesses an unparalleled work ethic and sharp writing skills. The Senior Writer position provides the opportunity and flexibility to comment and report on the entire sporting landscape, but we're primarily looking for a candidate with a comprehensive understanding of Major League Baseball. The candidate should be able to offer meaningful opinions on the latest trends and developments in MLB and baseball as a whole.
Typical Workday at theScore:
- Pitch and produce features, analysis, exclusive reported stories and columns.
- Conduct interviews from the office or in the field.
- Pick up feature projects as assigned by the Features Editor.
- Assist in coverage of news events and content planning as required (draft, free agency, winter meetings, etc.).
- Produce additional multimedia content for theScore's sports app and off-platform channels.
- Contribute to collaborative projects with other editorial staff members.
- Attend local and international events when necessary for assignments.
- Other duties as required.
- Extensive knowledge of professional sports
- MLB in particular
- and a knack for storytelling.
- 3+ years experience writing and reporting in a newsroom environment.
- A degree in journalism.
- Experience in sports media; digital focus is preferred.
- A proven track record of writing thoughtful feature articles, analysis pieces and columns with minimal editing under deadline.
- Versatility to write across a wide variety of sports and on topics ranging from business to off-field conduct and cultural trends.
- Experience arranging and conducting in-depth interviews with a wide range of sources including athletes, coaches, executives, agents and anyone with an interesting story to tell or information to impart.
- Ability to engage with readers on social media is a plus.
- Experience with video
- writing and on-camera
- considered a plus.
- Willingness to take on other projects as they come up.
- Flexibility with regards to scheduling and an ability to work nights and weekends.
- First-rate communication skills, professionalism, and integrity.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary with Employee Share Purchase Plan.
- Comprehensive Benefits package.
- Fun, relaxed work environment.
- Education and conference reimbursements.
- Parental leave top up.
theScore is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.