JOIN CANADA'S LIFELINE!
We are currently seeking a Communications Specialist to join our Public Affairs team at the Ottawa head office on contract until March 31, 2022.
Be part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative, diverse and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. We are the connection between the sincere generosity of donors, and the heartfelt appreciation of recipients. Thousands of Canadians depend on our programs every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells, organs and tissues.
As a seasoned communicator who understands the nuances of a complex business, you can plan, create and execute communications that support our culture. You will be responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of communications initiatives to engage and align employees and external audiences to the organization's mission, vision, values and strategic plan. You will provide communications plans and support a variety of programs, events and promotions to optimize our business goals and be an effective brand ambassador for the organization. You have expertise in change communications and can break down complex ideas into understandable and digestible information. Specifically, you will be responsible for communications related to our brand, employee experience, and other initiatives to support of people, culture and performance division.
You are an inspired storyteller who can make complex information compelling, impactful and applicable. You will also offer communications expertise based on a solid knowledge of communication trends and best practices, recognizing the importance of conveying the impact the Canadian Blood Services employee value proposition for internal and external audiences.
Are you ready to embark on a meaningful and inspiring journey, where what you do matters? Be part of Canada's lifeline. Because we can all be the reason, the connection, that keeps Canadians living.
- Acts as an internal champion for employee engagement and supports key deliverables that drive understanding and facilitate advocacy.
- As business partner consultant, determines internal clients' communication needs and priorities to provide direction and focus for high-value work.
- Collaborates with business partners and public affairs leadership team on development and implementation of enterprise-wide communication change, strategies and plans that drive understanding of the company's priorities and key initiatives, as well as engage and align audiences with the company's strategic plan and brand.
- Works closely with business units to communicate new initiatives and align strategy with business objectives.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Post-secondary level education in a relevant discipline from a recognized academic institution is essential, preferably in public relations, journalism or communications.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in media relations/external communications and/or corporate communications.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Demonstrated Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Developing and managing effective client relations.
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with the media
- Developing and implementing strategic communications plans
- Leading, planning and delivering crisis communications plans.
- Working and collaborating effectively with colleagues from different divisions Developing strong and effective coalitions with other functional groups (for example, marketing, finance, HR, IT)
- Advising senior leadership/team on media relations, issues management and crisis communications.
- Establishing communications measurements, plans and tracking results and analyzing and reporting on outcomes.
- Sound interviewing and media relations skills.
- Evaluation of internal and external and media relations key performance indicators.
- Good understanding of brand journalism and storytelling and how to implement as part of a broader communications plan.
- Knowledgeable about the principles, methods and techniques of social and traditional media, video, speech writing, content workflow, publication management process and brand and graphic design standards.
- Ability to make links between internal and external communications and brand.
- Knowledge about web writing best practices and user-centered approach.
- Strategic thinking: business acumen, audience understanding, critical thinking
- Content: speaking and presentation, dialogue enablement
- Business partnership: business acumen, communications coaching and teaching, interpersonal influence
- Project management: project planning, measurement, outcomes focus
- Office 365 suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- Effective use of DSLR cameras for photography and videography
- General knowledge and understanding of social media platforms (Yammer, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, etc.) and how users engage in each channel
- Using media tracking software, survey tools and social media analytics to track success
- Experience with content management software, such as Drupal.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, etc.)
- Working with video editing software, such as Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro
- Well-versed in the latest content marketing, channel engagement, and distribution strategies, including a knowledge of paid media options
Other Desired Qualifications
- Health-care and/or biopharma experience is an asset
- Ability to communicate both orally and written in both official languages is an asset.
Canadian Blood Services offers a generous total rewards package including:
- Competitive Salary $72,000
4 Weeks Vacation
- Comprehensive Group Health & Dental Benefits
- Choice of Defined Contribution or Defined Benefit Pension Plan
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.