Coordinator of Communications (SSRCE & TCRCE)Competition #: 2020-0201 Last Updated: 7/23/20 10:21 AM Posting Type: Permanent Start Date: 8/17/20 Union: Non Union End Date: Posting Round: Non Teaching Internal and External
Position InformationLocation: South Shore Regional Centre for Education % Cycle: 100% Grade Level: P-12 Hours per Day: 7 hrs/day
Position: Coordinator of Communications
Location: To be negotiated
Reports to: Regional Executive Directors of Education for the SSRCE and TCRCE
Employee Group: Non Union
- Public Relations/Communications degree or designation (or equivalent)
- Training in cultural responsiveness
- Five years' experience in providing counsel and services to senior management in a communications role
- Experience in web site development and maintenance
- Experience working with senior leadership, business partners, media and other stakeholders
- Experience in marketing
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Team player
- Possess strong initiative
- Displays professionalism and diplomacy
- Superior writing/editing skills
- Technology skills related to web site design/maintenance, social media and ideally, adobe creative suite
- Skillset in technology related to potentially working remotely
- Managing communications for the Regional Centres such as developing and implementing internal and external communication plans and strategies; create multi-year, comprehensive Communications Plan detailing objectives and goals.
- Maintaining open and ongoing communication with schools, principals, teachers, school support staff, and volunteers in the schools.
- Maintaining open and ongoing communications with other agencies and organizations in the community.
- Special Events Planning: Coordinating and planning special events and activities, such as Lieutenant Governor Awards, school openings, sod-turnings, etc. Required for both internal and/or external audiences.
- Working towards developing a recognized brand for SSRCE and TCRCE, through mission values and promotion of public education.
- Establishing communications best practices, including relations and cultural responsiveness.
- Representing SSRCE and TCRCE on various committees or at functions as necessary.
- Providing crisis communications and issues management counsel to senior management and other leaders.
- Initiating and sustaining ongoing communication with principals, School Advisory Councils, and educational partners like Home and School Associations.
- Providing counsel and services to the senior management team and administrators.
- Providing information and responding to inquiries from teachers, principals, and others within the school community.
- Providing guidance, upon request, to schools and staff respecting media and/or public relations and communications.
- Assisting in developing and promoting a SSRCE and TCRCE Business Plan.
- Maintaining open/ongoing communication and liaising with reporters, editors, producers and media representatives regarding media coverage and public accountability.
- Initiating, promoting and publicizing stories reflecting the delivery and/or governance of education in the region.
- Responding to media inquiries on behalf of the Regional Centre.
- Authoring news releases, backgrounders, and other public documents for use by the media.
- Acting as public spokesperson for the SSRCE and TCRCE.
- Responding to inquiries and requests for information from the general public, the community-at-large, other levels of government, and other agencies in the community.
- Collaborating with other levels of government and other community agencies.
- Designing and maintaining of the SSRCE and TCRCE web sites and social media channels.
- Developing a plan for development and maintenance of online communications.
- Assisting in organizing public events, seminars, workshops, in-services, presentations, etc.
- Coordinating development and dissemination of all related internal and external communications associated with public events, seminars, workshops, in-services, presentations etc.
- Collaborating with other departments to ensure policies are clear and concise for various audiences.
- Ensuring policies are communicated appropriately both internally and externally as necessary.
- Complying with Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
- Other related duties as required.