Req ID: 87601
Location: Central Zone
Department : 60076562 VP, Research & Innovation
Type of Employment: Regular Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: Management position
Posting Closing Date: 13-Aug-20
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community-based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
The Public Engagement & Communications division supports Nova Scotia Health in providing credible, relevant and timely information to individuals and communities to build awareness, increase understanding and influence thinking. This function serves to enable Nova Scotians to become increasingly involved in the decision-making that affects their health and health system, as well as to have trust and confidence that safe, quality care will be provided when needed. Working in four geographic management zones, members of the team provide the full realm of communications and public relations services, including strategic counsel and planning, issues management, media relations, digital content development and crisis communications management. The team's unique contributions to the organization are specific talents, experience and expertise in how best to talk, and listen, to different audiences using a variety of approaches and means, both traditional and emerging.
The Public Engagement & Communications team comprises six portfolios:
- Corporate Affairs
- Internal Communications
- Stakeholder Relations & Public Affairs
- Content and Media Relations/Issues Management
- Public Engagement & CHB Support
- Research and Innovation
Reporting to the Chief, Public Engagement and Communications, the Director, Research and Innovation provides focused communications counsel and services to the Vice President of Research, Innovation & Discovery and Chief Nurse Executive and members of Nova Scotia Health Research, Innovation & Discovery team. Working closely with the Vice President, the Director plans, researches and delivers strategic and innovative communications activities, as well as contributes to the long-term planning and requirements of the Office of the Vice President. The position also provides strategic communications advice to other portfolio members, particularly toward the building of relationships with the academic and corporate healthcare sector and other stakeholders. The Director is positioned to have an important role in supporting and influencing change and public perception of Nova Scotia Health through strong research, strategic analysis and communications acumen to ensure leading-edge messaging. This position also provides communications and public relations counsel to the executive leadership and senior management team.
- Undergraduate degree and/or post-secondary study in mass communications, public relations, journalism or a related field, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Master's degree considered an asset.
- Minimum of seven years' relevant experience in the communications and public relations sector, including a minimum of three years of progressive leadership experience.
- Knowledge of best practice related to corporate communications, public relations, media relations, crisis communications and web and online engagement.
- Demonstrated success in management with significant influence in a large organization.
- Strategic and system-focused thinking; strong analysis and decision-making skills.
- Exceptional communication, presentation and organizational skills.
- Ability to build internal and external collaborative relationships; proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within cross-departmental teams.
- Experience engaging, mentoring and empowering teams in a participatory environment.
- Experience managing high-profile public relations issues and in reputation management.
- Computer proficiency and interest and ability to work within social media.
- Financial planning and human resource management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects, delivering on budget and on time.
- Assets include:
- Experience with government or education in political science.
- Experience in the health sector.
- Working proficiency of French.
- Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent, full-time position, 75 hrs bi-weekly
Position under review. Salary to be determined.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date. Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs, as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid Registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy. Only online applications are accepted.
Follow us on Facebook