The Mayor's Office seeking a Supervisor, Communications to help craft and deliver the Mayor's message to the community. We are looking for an experienced political communicator with a penchant for writing, who has experience working closely with media, works well under tight timelines and understands the Mississauga community and our City's priorities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with media representatives and City Communications Department.
- Collaborates with the Chief of Staff to develop the communications strategy for the Mayor's Office.
- Oversees the Mayor's entire public communication, including proactive pitching, events, press conferences, online and social media.
- Manages and oversees Communications and Operations Advisor.
- Drafts internal and external communications materials on behalf of the Mayor, such as speeches/remarks, social media posts, key messages, newsletters, information emails, letters, greetings, and certificates.
- Develops clear, effective, and timely communications tools and templates, such as presentations, speaking notes, news releases, backgrounders and media Q&As.
- Works with Senior Stakeholder Relations Advisor to craft effective communications materials for stakeholders and community groups.
- Works with City of Mississauga Communications Department on all official city events and corporate news releases.
- Ability to identify emerging trends and potential issues through ongoing scans of the media environment and develop issues management plans.
- Prepares Mayor for all media interviews and act as her spokesperson in the media when required.
- Organizes and moderates Mayor's press conferences.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree or post-graduate diploma in journalism, political science, public relations or communications.
- Minimum 7-10 years related experience working in government with a proven track record in political or corporate communications, preferably with a focus on media relations and speech writing.
- Strong understanding of the municipal sector and political environment.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to handle multiple projects/priorities.
- Work well under pressure.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Strong issues management, media relations, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with graphic and digital design an asset.
- Experience with website development, events management, social media and event photography/videography is a must.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $48.20/hr
- $64.26/hr = $ 87,715.00
- $ 116,955.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Organization Unit: M&C/Communications
Department/Division/Section: CMO/City Manager's Office , M&C/Mayor's Office , Councillor's Office
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.