Reporting to the Manager, Communications, this position works with the electronic fare collection system project team. The electronic fare collection system will provide customers a new way to pay with contactless payments and a digital option. The system will also allow BC Transit to partner with mobility as a service vendors for an integrated travel experience. This position has a strong project management focus, building relationships with key stakeholders, keeping federal, provincial and local governments informed about projects, gaining approvals for all communications materials, providing support and messaging for project team members and ensuring that key milestones are celebrated. Travel and on-call support is required.
- Provide advice to the BC Transit electronic fare collection system project team to support the successful implementation and gain public acceptance of the new technology.
- Build out the communications and engagement plan and deliver supporting materials in regards to the electronic fare collection system project.
- Updating project webpages, creating social media posts, creating all supporting materials (media advisories, media releases, rack cards, letters, boards, etc.) and ads/promotion.
- Gain approvals and develop materials in collaboration with the electronic fare collection system project team, impacted internal stakeholders, the Government of Canada, Government Communications and Public Engagement, our local government partners, project contractors and other stakeholders.
- Provide communications and engagement status updates, request information required to proceed with communications activities, and collaborate with the project team at project meeting. Schedule meetings as needed with the project manager and members of the project team to proceed with communications related initiatives.
- Ensure communications and engagement keeps the project on schedule.
- Provide communications and engagement advice and guidance for best results and to mitigate project issues.
- Leads the development of the BC Transit electronic fare collection system brand in consultation with the project team and marketing.
- As required, supports communications and engagement activities for other capital projects or operational needs.
- Other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Post secondary diploma in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or a related field.
- A minimum two years experience as a communications specialist in a large, complex organization, managing media, government relations and issues management.
- Experience with developing, implementing, and evaluating communications and engagement plans.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Offers communications advice to the project team
- Provides guidance and support that enhances and protects BC Transit's reputation with key stakeholders. For example, through politically sensitive issues.
Occupational Health and Safety Knowledge
- Is knowledgeable about workplace health and safety, places high importance on safety and diligently follows safe operating procedures; promotes and displays a positive safety attitude and is proactive about safety for themselves, peers and customers.
Planning and Prioritization
- Proactively plans and organizes work activities and priorities; manages several tasks at once.
- Obtains information; identifies key issues and implications to make informed, objective decisions.
External and Organizational Awareness
- Identifies and understands how internal and external issues (e.g. economic, political, social trends) impact the work of BC Transit.
- Consistently completes work in a thorough, accurate and high quality manner; follows through on commitments and adheres to policies and procedures; strives for personal growth and excellence and is receptive to suggestions for improvement.
- Liaises with staff and politicians from local governments, the federal government, and the provincial government including Government Communications and Public Engagement and the Minister's office.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with others, relates well to people from varied backgrounds and in different situations, show understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy and politeness.
- Develops new insights into situations and applies different and novel solutions to make improvements.
- Builds an effective team that understands and supports the vision, values and objectives of the organization; shares the strategic direction, provides clarity as needed and recognizes team accomplishments; proactively works with team members to address and resolve any conflicts.
- This is a temporary 2-year contact and will end on or before the agreed-upon date
- Please note that testing will be sent to shortlisted candidates by end of day on August 10th and will be due back on August 17th.
- The position requires the competition of a Criminal Record Check Or Vulnerable Sector Search
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- If you have a disability which requires accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
BC TRANSIT OFFERS
- Life Insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program
- Recognizing Excellent Values (REV)