This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months. About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada's leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region's intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018. Job Summary
As a key member of the President's Office, the Senior Manager, Communications and Special Projects will support the delivery of a range of activities and projects through a vision of service, efficiency and responsiveness. The strategic nature of the position will be instrumental in Dalhousie's trajectory as one of Canada's leading universities. The position reports to the Chief of Staff. Key Responsibilities
- Design and implement a communications and social media strategy for the Office of the President, ensuring policies and practices align with the creation and development of a learning organization and actively seek to remove barriers to learning and/or transfer of learning.
- Think and act strategically to demonstrate in-depth understanding of the subject matter within higher education context; lead development of long-term strategy and objectives; prepare speaking notes when needed.
- Build rapport and develop strategic partnerships that are critical to long-term success of the organization, plan and execute special events hosted by the President's Office and others across campus.
- Evaluate and respond to complex requirements in support of organizational direction; ensure that accountabilities are integrated into organizational policies, practice and commitments.
- Utilize established project management methodologies and tools to define, schedule, execute, track and report on projects.
- Assist with office management responsibilities, including calendar and email; website updates; assessment and responding to funding requests. Note Qualifications
The successful candidate will have an Undergraduate Degree in a relevant field along with significant experience working in a university or similarly complex setting (or equivalent combination of training and experience). Experience building engaging relationships along with demonstrated professionalism, responsiveness, and commitment to service excellence is required. Demonstrated significant achievements in the areas of change and project management is essential. Resiliency, focus, and experience managing change with a track record of excellence is preferred. Job Competencies
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie's core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
- Respect & Inclusion
- Self-Awareness & Professionalism
- Relationship Building Additional Information
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program. Application Consideration
Applications from university employees and external candidates are given concurrent consideration. Among short-listed candidates, university employees will be given special consideration.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Diversity Statement
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.