BLACK GOLD SCHOOL DIVISION
Permanent Full-time Position
Reporting directly to the Superintendent of Schools, the Communications Advisor will work
collaboratively with the Board of Trustees, Executive Staff, as well as cross departmentally in
the Division with various levels of staff in all Black Gold School Division to provide counsel and
strategic communication direction and support.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES : ?
- Develop effective communication campaigns and programs that deliver a positive brand
- identity for the Division, including but not limited to branding, event marketing, public
- relations and advertising. ?
- Build and nurture trusted relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Release division communication in a timely and transparent matter to all external
- stakeholders ensuring school communities are informed.
- Provide advice on media matters and assist all BGSD schools with media relations.
- Prepare material such as statements, media advisories, news releases and background
- materials required by the Board Chair, Superintendent or designate.
- In the event of an emergency, act as the Hour Zero Information Officer.
- Administer, monitor and approve all Division-based social media accounts.
- Post editorial content to website and staff link (Communications Corner, News & Events)
- in a consistent and timely manner.
- Coordinate Division and Board related ceremonies and special events on behalf of the
- Division and Board of Trustees.
- Coordinate and solicit press coverage of events.
- Provide overall strategic communications guidance and direction to Superintendent,
- Board of Trustees, Executive staff and all levels of staff.
- Expectation to become an active member of CACE and/or similar industry organizations
- Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
- University Degree/College Diploma in Communications or Public Relations, or University
- Degree in an appropriate area.
- Minimum of 5 years in the communications field.
- Demonstrate skill working with media and excellent public relations, and written/oral
- communication skills.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, including proven ability to handle
- multiple complex projects simultaneously with multiple audiences and against deadline.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, high pressure, team environment. ?
- Excellent track record in writing, editing and designing across a spectrum of platforms
- from print to web to social media.
- Demonstrate proficiency using MS Office Suite, Lucid Tools; Google Applications; Adobe
- Suite; Sprout Social; Facebook; YouTube; Twitter.
- Layout and design experience and familiarity with Lucid Tools, Adobe Photoshop or
- similar design applications
- Experience with web content management systems
- Strong political acumen, demonstrated discretion, diplomacy and tact.
- Must be capable of maintaining confidentiality with a high level of accuracy regarding
Hours of work: Monday to Friday (7 hours per day) starting as soon as mutually agreed
Annual Salary: $66,261
- $84,128 and an excellent benefit package.
Please note: As a condition of employment, new employees are required to provide a
current Vulnerable Sector Check and Intervention Record Check at their own
expense (prior to starting employment).
Deadline for applications: Friday, May 29 @ 12:00 p.m.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and references.
Please submit application to the attention of:
Human Resources Coordinator
Black Gold School Division
3r Floor, 1101
- 5th Street
Nisku, AB T9E 7N3
Thank you for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Resumes of individuals not granted an interview will not be kept on file and will be disposed of appropriately.