Date: 10 Nov 2023
Location: Montreal, Quebec, CA, H2Z 1B1 Genoa, IT, 16124
Company: Lloyds Register
Location:Montreal : 555 Rene-Levesque Bl5, Genoa : Via Sottoripa 1A/112-113
Position Type:Employee Regular
Full Stack Java Developer
Location: Montreal, Canada or Genoa, Italy preferred (multiple locations considered)
What we're looking for
We recently chose to rework our product line with state-of-the-art technologies to bring cloud native components, AI services, NoSQL databases, Infrastructure as Code and other techs in our products in order to provide future-proof solutions to our customers. We look for forward-thinking and energetic people who have a can-do attitude. We want people who will thrive in a diverse and challenging work environment, who are receptive to change and embrace the opportunity to be part of a company with ambitious growth and new product development plans.
As part of this role, you will support in building and piloting the bridges between our new generation of products and our legacy tools.
What we offer you
- The opportunity to work for an organization that has a strong sense of purpose, is values driven and helps colleagues to develop professionally and personally through our range of people development programmes
- A Full-time permanent role
- Participate in the Agile development cycle by deploying at high frequency
- Work closely with developers, architects, designers, data specialists, quality analysts and maritime experts
- Become an expert in the intricacies of the maritime world
- Develop internationally used products that scale quickly
- Analyse software requirements and implement related software products providing a sustainable framework
- Design, implement and maintain Java backend services to meet business process and application requirements
- Build and delivery of software products and/or parts of the products, code source and tools, including: web-services, user interfaces, data structure, data storage, APIs, infrastructure, computational jobs, KPIs, reports, analytics, data-pipelines, algorithms, architecture
- Perform unit, and component testing and debugging.
- Identify production and non-production application issues.
- Participate in software and architectural development activities.
- Recommend changes to improve established application processes.
- Follow and comply to established coding standards
- Participate and perform peer code reviews
- Setup and configure development environments as necessary
- Participate and present in and scrum meetings
- Master the related software work of server side, have a unique insight in interactive experience and software product design
What you bring
- Diploma or Degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- In the case of Montreal, candidates must live in the Province of Quebec and have a valid work permit
- Exposure using the following tools:
- Azure-Backed Cloud-native infrastructure (Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, IaC, etc.)
- Java based products with Java EE, JSF and EJB3
- Web-first products, PWA, Service workers
- Mapping Framework: Openlayers, Mapbox GL
- CI/CD with Azure DevOps and Git
- Database design/maintenance on PostgreSQL/PostGIS and MySQL
- Results driven, self-motivated and tenacious; able to work autonomously and collaborative team player
- Information Technology, or a related subject; MSc in related studies is highly welcomed
- Minimum three (3) years of working experience in Java programming
- Range of Java related experience such as Quarkus, Web Services, Hibernate
- Asychronous programming
- Authentication solutions
- Experience in Cloud based solutions like AWS and/or Azure
- Experience developing REST APIs
- Experience in object-oriented analysis and design, Design Patterns
- Experience in Agile software development process based on Scrum and working in Scrum teams
- Experience in version control systems like Git
- Experience in software testing using unit and integration tests combined with code reviews
- Experience in Linux, Docker
- Experience in database technologies like Postgres and SQL, or no-SQL like Cosmos
- Excellent command (written and oral) in English language
Preferred but not required:
- Familiarity with the deployment of Cloud-based systems to MS Azure
- Working knowledge of C# / Python / C++ to help with integrations
You are someone who:
- Is keen to take accountability and ownership for delivering customer needs
- Is able to self-manage and prioritize tasks towards achieving goals
- Is effective at solving problems, trouble-shooting and making timely decisions
- Is flexible and eager to take initiatives
- Communicates in a structured way and has ability to present technical ideas in user-friendly language
- Displays a team spirit, particularly in a multicultural environment
- Responds positively to learning opportunities and is comfortable stepping out of own comfort zone
Maritime stakeholders are increasingly looking for digital solutions to address the growing challenges of operating in such a vast and complex industry. Pressing issues like climate change, supply chain volatility, and an increase in regulatory requirements already requires considerable agility on the part of all industry members, with no indication of abatement.
Technology will play a key role in allowing stakeholders to operate efficiently and responsibly in the decades to come. When it comes to managing a wide-ranging fleet of vessels, the need for real-time data exchange between ship and shore and interconnected, dynamic processes are sure to increase. Decision-makers will need access to more data than ever and a means to combine multiple interdependent datasets to derive insight and inform decision-making in real-time.
At LR, we have now developed a digital solutions portfolio that provides voyage compliance, voyage planning, ship management and vessel performance solutions to over 20,000 vessels across the globe.
Digital Solutions Division:
We recognise the challenges facing the maritime industry including the drive for decarbonization and the need for improved efficiency. To address these challenges OneOcean is now part of the Lloyd's Register Digital Solutions division. We are proud to work alongside the other brands that comprise this division, providing voyage compliance, voyage planning, ship management and vessel performance solutions.
Be a part of
Register is wholly owned by the Lloyd's Register Foundation, a politically and financially independent global charity that aims to engineer a safer world through promoting safety and education. For a thriving ocean economy, Lloyd's Register colleagues and Lloyd's Register Foundation work together to fund research, foster industry collaboration and develop action-oriented solutions to make the world a safer place.
Want to apply
We hire people with a wide variety of skills, experience, and backgrounds. This includes people with disability, women, people identifying as LGBTIQIA+, culturally and linguistically diverse people, careers, and other varied groups.
We are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to all candidates. Please let us know if you need any assistance or reasonable adjustments throughout your application and we will do everything we possibly can to support you.
If you don't tick every box in these ads, please don't rule yourself out. We focus on hiring people who share our goal of working together for a safer, sustainable, thriving ocean economy.
We care, we share, we do the right thing.
If you have further questions about this role, please contact us at Via Isarta and we will respond to you as soon as possible #LI-KC1
Diversity and Inclusion at Lloyd's Register:
Together we are one Lloyd's Register, committed to developing an inclusive and safe workplace that embraces and celebrates diversity. We strive to ensure that all applicants to LR experience equality of opportunity and fair treatment, because we believe it is the right thing to do. We hope you do too.
The Lloyd's Register Group comprises charities and non-charitable companies, with the latter supporting the charities in their main goal of enhancing the safety of life and property, at sea, on land and in the air - for the benefit of the public and the environment. (Group entities).
Job Segment: Developer, Java, Cloud, Testing, Information Technology, Technology