Hiring Unit / Faculty: School of Continuing Studies / Dean Office
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communication at the School of Continuing Studies, the Web Specialist will play a key role in meeting SCS marketing and communications objectives by developing and implementing strategic digital marketing and communications plans, and by managing all of the School’s digital assets.
- Manage all digital assets by ensuring content, structure, navigation, and other web features are optimized, coherent and consistent, on brand, aligned with our marketing and communications objectives, and reflect the needs of future and current students, as well as employers and other stakeholders.
- Lead large-scale design, development, testing, troubleshooting, and implementation of the existing and any new SCS websites by identifying the most effective content management system, required tools and technology, obtaining feedback from users via focus groups, creating enhanced site structure according to best practices in UX design and accessibility, building rich navigation, and collaborating with other members of the team to produce SEO-optimized content.
- Identify and monitor digital performance metrics, continually improve on KPIs through testing and implementation of new initiatives, and produce regular reports on web performance using a variety of analytical tools, including Google Analytics.
- Research, recommend, code and design effective templates for various digital assets, such as program webpages, program shells in Destiny, landing pages, and microsites; standardize look & feel; ensure optimal user experience and accessibility, troubleshoot issues and SEO-optimize content to deliver on marketing and communications objectives.
- Oversee timely, accurate, bilingual updates to the digital content on all SCS digital platforms, manage search engine optimization for all digital assets, and develop creative strategies to drive traffic and engage new users.
- Work in collaboration with suppliers and interns, assign tasks/projects, ensure quality assurance and on-time delivery of assignments.
- Liaise with the University’s IT and Digital Communications and other stakeholders to ensure that SCS digital assets comply with university’s visual, technical, and communications standards.
- Keep current with best practices and emerging tools in the rapidly changing fields of digital marketing, web and UX design, and communications.
- Perform other related duties as required.
OTHER QUALIFYING SKILLS AND/OR ABILITIES:
- Minimum: DEC or equivalent, PLUS at least 5 years of relevant professional experience. Bachelor's degree in website development, multimedia design, or digital arts is asset. Must have extensive experience in the following tools/methods: Drupal, WordPress, Adobe Creative Cloud, HTML, CSS, Multimedia software, Tableau or Power BI.
- Proficiency in responsive design, in addition to best practices in usability and accessibility.
- High-level proficiency in analyzing and reporting using Google Analytics, digital or other analytic reporting tools.
- Proven ability in search engine optimization.
- Fluency in both PC and Mac platforms is required.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask, strong communication, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage production schedules, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Reliable, self-motivated with an ability to work autonomously and with others in a team.
- Must be client-focused and service-oriented.
- Strong desire to work in an entrepreneurial educational environment.
McGill University is an English-language university where day to day duties may require English communication both verbally and in writing . The level of English required for this position has been assessed for spoken proficiency at a level 3 and for written proficiency at a level 4 on a scale of 0-4.