Attn: Marianne Hicks, Email via Isarta Please mention 'HR Advisor' in the subject line of your email
The Human Relations Advisor is responsible for providing HR coordination and support to Harbour Light managers and staff. Day-to-day activities include employee relations, labour relations, recruitment and selection, performance management, compensation, training and development, overseeing benefits administration, development and implementation of human resources policies, and ensuring legal compliance.
- The normal work week is Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This includes 7.5 paid hours and 0.5 hours unpaid lunch break each day.
- This position may work a hybrid work arrangement (minimum 3 days per week in-office) upon agreement with the Director of Administration, in accordance with TSA flex work policies.
- Be influential to the management team by becoming more visible, leading accelerated change and driving new ways of operating in terms of performance management.
- May attend coaching and disciplinary sessions, drafts and/or review documentation, and ensures compliance with statutory and DHQ requirements for terminations (i.e., seeks approval from DC via BCER for layoffs or termination with/without cause).
- Ensures completion of performance appraisals as per TSA policy and audits annually for Harbour Light completion.
- Works with managers to produce reports on attendance management.
- Serves as the first point of contact for investigations and conflict resolution under The Salvation Army Respect in the Workplace policy.
- Serves as a link between management and employees by handling questions and helping resolve work-related problems.
- Conducts exit interviews to identify reasons for employee termination and prepares periodic reports.
- Liaises with DHQ HR in respect of terminations of employment.
- Develops and/or administers special projects such as employee recognition
Compensation, Benefits, Job Design
- Ensures Territorial employee benefit and RRSP programs are consistently applied within Harbour Light and, in consultation with Benefits team, that the administration of these programs complies with the terms of the master contract(s).
- In accordance with internal and DHQ procedures, obtains DHQ approval for non-union salary transactions and completes Personnel Information Change Forms (PCIFs) and Employee Transaction Forms (ETFs) for new hires, changes in status and/or salary and terminations.
- Develops and updates job descriptions based on TSA standards and collective agreement requirements.
- In consultation with Compensation team, provides advice to local management regarding Territorial Job Grading System and wage scale and ensures management/non-union positions comply with same.
- Assists managers with staffing models and schedules.
- Delivers recruitment services including front-end needs analysis in consultation with managers, job posting, sourcing, interview process, selection and employee offers.
- Participates in interviews for management positions and may facilitate interviews for front-line employees.
- Develops and provides questions and scoring guides to Harbour Light management, coordinates interview panels, administers and evaluates applicants.
- Participates in hiring decision and checks/verifies references.
- Prepares letters of offer, employee files and conducts new employee orientation.
- Provides current and prospective employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, opportunities for promotion, and employee benefits.
- Builds strong relationships with local organizations, recruitment agencies, educational institutions, learning and development suppliers to enable Harbour Light to achieve overall business objectives.
- Ensures Administrative Assistant coordinates arrival of new employees including arranging required on-line policy training, sign-off of policies, handbook, and liaises with departmental management to ensure on-the-job training as appropriate.
- Ensures departments are providing required department-specific orientation to all new employees
Policy and Procedures
- Acts as resource to Harbour Light management in respect of policy and procedure as outlined in the Territorial Employee Relations Policy and Procedure manual
- Draft and distribute communication to local management regarding changes to policy or policy reminders
- Assists in the development and implementation of programs that will drive increased employee satisfaction and commitment levels such as employee surveys, employee communications and employee events.
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls or coordinates the personnel, training, or labor relations activities of an organization.
- In consultation with senior management, analyzes training needs and coordinates training programs.
- Assists with negotiations and bargaining of collective agreements and helps interpret labor contracts.
- Leads employer committee at Joint Labour-Management Committee.
- Receives Step 2 grievances
- Be the primary contact for the union for any communication including throughout the grievance process
- Remains current with legislation, arbitration decisions, and collective bargaining contracts to assess industry trends.
- Ensures compliance with collective agreements and applicable employment legislation.
- Liaises with DHQ HR department and union representatives as necessary.
Statistics and Reports
- Maintains records and compiles reports on matters such as turnover and performance appraisal completion
- Analyzes data and reports to identify causes of personnel problems and develops recommendations for improvement of personnel policies and practices
Health and Safety
- Claims Management: Investigates and reports on industrial accidents and injuries for WorkSafe BC and insurance carriers.
- Completes Form 7s and occurrence reports, submits online with WCB, manages claims.
- Health and Safety: oversees maintenance of records of mandatory training.
- Actively participates as a member of OHS committee
- Coordinates appropriate training and action items
Other work-related duties may be assigned as required.
Direct reports for this position: Administrative Assistant
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- The successful job applicant will have completed a formal post-secondary/college/University program of three academic years
- Completion of an Undergraduate University degree (e.g., B.A.,) will be considered as a strong asset.
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources would be considered as an asset.
- Working towards a professional designation (e.g., Certified Human Resources Professional CHRP) will be considered as an asset.
- Three years of related experience, including experience in a unionized environment
- Strong sense of integrity and confidentiality with professional ethics and a balanced sense of fairness and flexibility.
- Intermediate computer skills, particularly ability to use Outlook-based email, basic Excel, and Word.
- Familiar with HR legislation and regulations within the British Columbia Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Labour Relations Code, collective agreements and all other applicable legislation and regulations.
- Experience working with HRIS/Peoplesoft or another cloud-based employee database.
- Willingness to adhere to the Mission and Values of The Salvation Army.
- Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills, effective listening skills, and organizational skills.
- High standards of integrity, judgement, and the ability to cultivate and maintain relationships of trust and confidentiality.
- Seeks common ground in navigating challenging issues and constructively manages conflict to create win-win solutions wherever possible
Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
- Criminal Record Check consent
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- Current Driver's license in British Columbia
- Completion of our online Armatus Abuse Training and required Health and Safety training
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.