The Office of Continuing Medical Education in the Cumming School of Medicine is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Executive Assistant.
Reporting to the Director, CME.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Carries-out oral and written directives from the Associate Dean, Director, Manager and medical leadership to provide administrative support
- Acts as a resource to staff, faculty, and external parties re CME & PD programs, activities, and research
- Organizes daily schedule for Associate Dean and Director; scheduling appointments; arranging meetings; developing, providing and distributing materials; setting up agendas; booking rooms; arranging food and beverage functions as needed and providing other support as required
- Drafts routine correspondence and replies e.g. planning/project committee and speaker invitations in a professional and accurate manner ensuring deadlines are met
- Liaises with the Office of the Dean, Council of Associate Deans Education, other Associate Dean Offices, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, other CME offices across Canada and in the US, and College of Family Physicians of Canada
- Receives visitors, screen and re-direct calls as required, screen mail, make travel arrangements
- Prepares travel claims often involving the conversion of foreign currencies
- Prepare, submit and monitor expense claims for Associate Dean, Director, Manager and medical leadership
- Ensures CME website is up to date by checking links and making sure documents are current and correct
- Prepares correspondence, manuscripts, annual reports, statistical reports, and other documentation
- Answers queries related to the Associate Dean/Director`s work and routine CME & PD inquiries
- Coordinates meetings, ensuring agendas are prepared in advance, notices are sent in a timely manner, provide logistical support, attend and compile minutes, and follow-up on activities from the meetings
- Prepares presentations as needed for local, provincial, national and international meetings
- Initiates, sends out and compiles information for surveys to internal and external stakeholders
- Handles special projects including investigating and ordering new equipment, establishing new systems for the office related to mail distribution, communications systems, often requiring liaison with the University and outside companies
- Maintains files and archival documents
- Handles and acts as the contact person for the Office repairs and supplies for materials, equipment, and facilities
- Responsive and innovative troubleshooting regarding changes and problems as they arise; involving appropriate stakeholders
CPD Administration, Logistics and Support
- With a high degree of independence, conduct the following
- Plan and organize the logistics and delivery aspects of Associate Dean CPD educational activities, including: in person and virtual grand rounds, webinars, workshops and conferences
- Work with planning committees to obtain cost effective room booking and catering contracts meeting needs and budget
- Determine audio-visual needs, including arranging for technician, equipment and set up, which may require the set-up of equipment when a technician is not available
- Responsible for day of virtual and on-site management of courses, including production scheduling, registration, marketing and course materials and respond and resolve problems in a timely and professional manner
- Communicate with program speakers (including webinar moderators) regarding paper work, time schedule, deadline of presentation and handout, payment, etc., as well as confirming their topic, bios, presentation time and location
- Respond to program participants' general inquiries and handle routine communication, such as session reminder, survey/evaluation reminder
Qualifications / Requirements
- Postsecondary training (certificate or specialty) in office and/or business administration or combined
- Significant experience working in an administrative/secretarial role
- At least 5-7 years of experience, with some experience in a postsecondary environment preferred
- Excellent attention to detail, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in order to meet deadlines
- Proven ability to work as part of a team is essential
- Proven ability to work independently and exercise initiative, tact and good judgement
- Strong written and verbal communication and decision making skills
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, Internet skills, and advanced skills in calendar management
Application Deadline: November 30, 2022
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Operational/Administrative Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information visit Careers in the Cumming School of Medicine.
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About The University Of Calgary
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (via Isarta) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources (via Isarta).
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.