To provide an exceptional customer experience by facilitating, from a sales and planning perspective, hospitality and service in the areas of catering and events, as well as conference meals and accommodations. Acts as a resource for customers booking events in the Marquis Events Centre as well as various locations throughout campus to ensure their vision and expectations are met, while also providing accurate and up to date information to the internal stakeholders and leadership team to assist in ensuring efficient operations.
NATURE OF WORK:
Reporting to the Manager, Culinary Services /Executive Chef the Hospitality and Events Coordinator works with internal and external clients to identify and understand their options, including policies and procedures implications, and to determine the best combination of services available to them. Processes related requests following clear standards and procedures, ensuring complete and accurate communications to other service providers in order to ensure clients receive the services they expect. Works with external suppliers and ensures their services are consistent with contractual and other agreements.
This work is performed primarily in an office environment however at times could meet clients remotely, attend trade shows as well as have a visible presence and assist with special events.
The main function of this position is intended to be during the core working hours of the university however this position may require alternate work plans involving evenings, weekends and/or stat holidays during peak times based on business demands which do vary throughout the year.
TYPICAL DUTIES OR ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Ensures that clients booking events through Catering Services are supported. Creates a vision for the client events identifying their needs and desires and develops plans with a full understanding of internal operational processes, impacts and opportunities.
- Ensures that clients booking events understand the full range of established menus and program options available to them within in their budget and ensures that their selection of these meet their needs and expectations.
- Fosters a positive customer service approach ensuring effective customer contact, evaluating performance and taking appropriate action to satisfy customer needs.
- Seeks new opportunities for relationships and partnerships both on and off campus.
- Ensures regular and on-going development of marketing initiatives and strategies.
- Ensures current and accurate promotional materials and information including the Culinary Services Website and social media.
- Processes event and related information accurately and in a detailed manner that supports effective delivery of service.
- Provides accurate reports on costs/projections and timely analysis of performance and progress in meeting objectives.
- Treats all confidential and commercial information and materials in a confidential manner.
- Communicates issues of importance or concern to the immediate supervisor in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with others as required to complete assignments and support team efforts. Works to resolve conflicts and maintain harmony among co-workers.
- Effectively manages assigned projects as directed.
- Sets priorities for own work and meets deadlines.
- Complies with all relevant legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with all University service providers to support and meet the needs and expectations of Culinary Services clients.
- Provides planning and marketing support to internally run Culinary Services evens.
- Participates as an active and supportive member of Culinary Services
- Undertakes special projects as assigned.
Education: The incumbent requires a relevant degree or post-secondary certification in Hospitality or Event Management.
Licenses: Include only if applicable.Authorization granted by a regulatory body which grants permission to do something. N/A
- The incumbent requires a minimum of 5 years of events planning experience as well as a minimum of 5 years relevant experience within a full service catering or hospitality operation.
- Must have a detailed knowledge of how to effectively organize, plan, publicize, manage and budget for group events of any size including projecting food volumes, managing budgets, and accommodating dietary needs.
- Must have a high level of computer competency, proficient in Microsoft Office, current social media avenues as well as web site update Experience in executing and developing marketing plans as well as a track record of achieving sales growth.
- An equivalent combination of relevant education and industry experience may be considered.
- The Hospitality and Events Coordinator works as a part of the Culinary Services leadership team in providing strategic leadership and stewardship for staff and services in a manner that is aligned with Culinary Services and University direction.
- The incumbent undertakes the administrative, financial, logistical and program planning for catering, conferences and events, overseeing every detail from the mundane to the critical.
- Undertakes research and analysis of options and/or innovative alternatives as required. Provides a range of information regarding client options with respect to catering and conference planning including details regarding specific related policies, guidelines and requirements.
- Evaluates catering, conference and event results and makes recommendations for improvements as necessary.
- Ensures a creative approach to marketing involving online catering system, website, plasma screens, display merchandising, social media, trade shows, and campus events.
- The incumbent must possess strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to adapt to fluctuating volumes of workload as well as changing priorities as business demands. The ability to foster trust and contribute to a supportive team environment is essential.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to James McFarland
Department: Culinary Services
Status: Term 24 with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent
Employment Group: ASPA
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1.0
Salary: The salary range, based on 1.0 FTE, is $49,301.00 - 77,033.00 per annum. The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Salary Family (if applicable): Specialist Professional
Salary Phase/Band: Phase 1
Posted Date: 11/7/2022
Closing Date: 12/11/2022
Number of Openings: 1
Work Location: On Site
The successful applicant will be required to provide the following current verification(s) where 'Yes' is indicated below. Further information is available at: https://careers.usask.ca/tips-for-applying.php
Criminal Record Check: Not Applicable
Driver's License and Abstract Check: Not Applicable
Education/Credential Verification: Not Applicable
Vulnerable Sector Check: Not Applicable
Please review the University of Saskatchewan's health and safety requirements for faculty, staff and students in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The University believes equity, diversity, and inclusion strengthen the community and enhance excellence, innovation and creativity. We are dedicated to recruiting individuals who will enrich our work and learning environments. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We are committed to providing accommodations to those with a disability or medical necessity. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work together on the accommodation request. The University of Saskatchewan's main campus is situated on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis. We pay our respects to the First Nations and Métis ancestors of this place and reaffirm our relationship with one another. Together, we are uplifting Indigenization to a place of prominence at the University of Saskatchewan.