COORDINATOR, EXTENSIONS AND ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION
Position: Coordinator, Extensions and Active Transportation
Position Type: Full-time/Permanent
Work Location: Remote from home in Canada (national office is based in Montreal)
Team: Trail Team
Reports to: National Manager, Infrastructure and Connection
Start Date: As soon as possible
Our vision is to inspire everyone to embrace the outdoors, to discover the diversity of our land and people, to enhance their health and well-being, and to share their stories along this globally significant and iconic trail network.
The Trans Canada Trail (the Trail) is the longest interconnected network of multi-use recreational trails in the world, spanning over 28,000 kilometres on land and water. Linking three oceans – the Atlantic, Pacific and Arctic – the Trail connects 15,000 rural, urban and Indigenous communities across every province and territory. It is a ribbon that connects Canada’s diverse landscapes, seasons, people and experiences, and it fosters unity, collaboration and connectedness.
Trans Canada Trail (the organization) is a registered charity that stewards this national trail in collaboration with community-based partners. With funding from the Government of Canada through Parks Canada, and investments from all levels of government and generous donors, Trans Canada Trail is the largest investor in trail infrastructure projects in Canada, supporting improvements, growth and enhancements for the benefit of generations to come.
Trans Canada Trail staff are community-minded and believe in the benefits of outdoor recreation opportunities for all. Our skills are diverse – from trail development and signage expertise, to philanthropy, communications and marketing, and organizational administration. We are a geographically dispersed team, located in many different places in Canada, but closely connected through technology and a sincere effort to build and maintain effective working relationships with one another.
You are passionate about the health and well-being of people and communities. The talents and skills you bring to your work are valued by your colleagues and you’re always interested in learning something new. You enjoy working remotely and online, using digital platforms to think creatively and work collaboratively, and you believe in the importance of work/life balance.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Trans Canada Trail! The Coordinator, Extensions and Active Transportation is an important role within our Trail team, as it is instrumental in the growth, development and enhancement of the Trans Canada Trail network. This includes achieving the replacement of roadway sections with greenway trail, thus enhancing active transportation in both urban and rural settings. You will report to the National Manager, Infrastructure and Connection, and will work closely with the entire Trans Canada Trail team to support the strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
- Actively research and assist in the development of new projects and partnerships for continual Trail development
- Assist Trail operators nationally with participation in Trans Canada Trail initiatives and programs that address Trail connection
- Receive and review program applications, project documentation and project reports
- Work to ensure the network remains connected and viable by collaborating with Trail groups on specific needs, programs and projects
- Manage and monitor the progress of projects
- Support the National Manager with the implementation of projects and annual plan deliverables
- Communicate with and support other Trans Canada Trail teams and staff, as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Related project coordination experience
- Ability to build and maintain professional relationships with partners, stakeholders and other agencies, both internal and external
- Experience in trail design, construction and/or signage implementation
- Ability to work independently in a remote environment
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to communicate complicated, potentially controversial and timely messages, when faced with multiple considerations
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary education and/or experience in a related field are identified for this position. We encourage applications from all candidates who think they have the training, knowledge, skill and experience related to the job and its responsibilities
- 2 + years’ experience
- Previous experience working with applications such as Salesforce (or other CRM database), Google Earth and other mapping systems
- Experience in ESRI and Arc GIS is an asset
- Bilingual English/French, spoken and written, is an asset
A detailed position description will be provided to candidates who are invited to join us for an interview and discussion about the role.
We offer a compensation package that includes:
- Hiring salary range: $54,000-$56,000 per year, based on experience
- Contributions to group RRSP
- Insurance: health, dental, long-term disability and life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible work location and hours of work
- Generous paid vacation, holidays and sick leave
COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION AND EMPLOYMENT EQUITY
Trans Canada Trail is a proud equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating a respectful, inclusive and barrier-free workplace that allows everyone to reach their full potential. A diverse workforce is key to our success, and we understand that different experiences, expertise and diversity of thought creates better opportunities to understand the world we share.
We value a staff team made up of people with diverse voices and experiences and welcome your application if this role calls out to you. If you already have all of the skills and experience we’ve asked for, great. But we also consider potential – so if you don’t have those exact skills yet, but you have the know-how and desire to develop them, know that we support professional growth, and this role may still be a great match for you – so don’t be shy about applying.
The deadline for submitting your application is 5:00 pm (Eastern) on Monday October 3, 2022.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank all applicants for their interest in working at Trans Canada Trail.
Trans Canada Trail is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Trans Canada Trail will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the Coordinator, Human Resources.