COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING MANAGER
Regular, Full Time
St. Margaret's is Western Canada's only girl-centered, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for learning and leadership development providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7-12). A committed, high calibre staff, a beautiful campus, and an innovative, integrated curriculum create a nurturing environment that challenges students to achieve their academic and leadership potential.
The primary role of the Communications and Marketing Manager is to pursue opportunities to highlight, promote and raise awareness of St. Margaret's School - its programs, activities, events, and stories.
The Communications and Marketing Manager is responsible for overseeing communications, external marketing, and public relations for the School. The position will develop, maintain, and evaluate the communications and marketing strategy for St. Margaret's, ensuring alignment with the School's Strategic Plan and emerging needs. The Communications and Marketing Manager is also responsible for producing high quality content that engages customers and builds a brand recognition for the School. The position serves as an advisor to the management team and will participate on various planning committees. Additionally, the position is responsible for the supervision of staff, including recruitment, determining hours of work, assignment of work and managing performance.
- Integrity & Trust
- Building Effective Teams
- Service Orientation
- School & Business Acumen
- Communication & Collaboration
- Managerial Courage
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Strategic Agility
- Ensure content is effective and written clearly and concisely for a variety of media including advertising, print, web, and social media.
- Provide proofreading and editorial expertise for a variety of written content to ensure communication standards are met including the protection of personal information as appropriate.
- Support school staff to develop engaging written content for the website, e-newsletter, social media, and other communication channels.
- Oversee the publication of the School magazine.
- Lead the development and distribution of internal and external communications including announcements, newsletters and other key School information when required.
Design & Production:
- Provide oversight of the production of a variety of strategic communication and marketing materials, including advertising, promotional materials, publications, and videos.
- Identify technical specifications for design projects to be outsourced. Evaluate and secure external graphic designers, photographers, printers, writes and consultants to establish a list of vendors.
- Determine project needs prior to tendering work and oversee contracts with third party service providers.
- Ensure publication/print production schedules meet target completion dates.
- Develop a library of stock photos from school events and photo shoots.
Planning, Processes and Standards:
- Lead the development of a communications and marketing strategy and ensure alignment with the strategic and operational objectives of the School.
- Manage the department budget.
- Develop and implement communications standards, templates, processes, and procedures.
- Manage and prioritize departmental requests for communications and marketing support.
- Ensure consistency of messaging and graphic standards throughout the School. Provide training to staff as required.
- Oversee the design and delivery of the School's e-newsletters.
- Serve as a member of various planning committees and advise on the development of communication and marketing plans and materials to promote School events and initiatives.
- Advise the Advancement Department of communication and marketing approaches to increase and maintain connections with current families and alumnae.
- Recruit and provide orientation for new hires.
- Supervise of the Communications Coordinator and communications staff including scheduling hours, assigning work, and managing performance.
Web / Social:
- Oversee the content of the School's website and social media channels. Work with external contractors to maintain and improve the school website.
- Oversee a content calendar including writing, editing, posting blog entries, and sharing relevant news links/photos/stories on the School's social media.
- Determine the appropriate use of external websites and profiles and ensure that the School's profile is maintained.
- Manage the School's marketing campaign and ensure the objectives are aligned with the School's strategic plan.
- Serve as an advisor to the Director of Enrolment Management on all advertising and marketing efforts and maintain and developing promotional products.
- Oversee all media and advertising placements, and ensure costs are within budget.
- Build and maintain relationships with advertising representatives, external contractors, and service providers.
- Manage the design and production of electronic artwork files for School advertisements.
- Ensure marketing audits are conducted to measure effectiveness of advertising placements and report results to the Head of School or committee as required.
- Oversee Google Adwords and other PPC campaigns, social media marketing, and other online advertising activities to promote the School.
- Identify the need for and oversee photo and video shoots of campus, students, events, and activities for marketing and promotional purposes. Ensure photo consents are completed as required.
- Serve as an advisor to the Leadership Team and work collaboratively to identify opportunities to highlight and promote the successes of the School.
- Oversee the development of media releases and advisories and make recommendations to the Head of School for approval.
- Distribute and follow up media releases and/or work with PR consultant to ensure good exposure and pick up of stories.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field coupled with recent work experience in the field of Communications and/or Marketing.
- Minimum of two (4) years' experience managing a communications and marketing department, including supervision of staff.
- Experience with strategy development and serving as an advisor to senior level positions.
- Exceptional ability to write clear, engaging content for a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated experience developing materials for web and print using the Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Experience with full suite of Microsoft and Google applications
- Experience with web-based applications for management of website, contacts, and social networks: Hootsuite, WordPress, HubSpot, Sprout, Drupal (or other website CMS), CRM databases, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to set strategic priorities, identify plans of action and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational and time management abilities.
- Experience managing print contracts and understanding of procurement processes.
- Excellent interpersonal, supervisory and teamwork skills.
- Strong commitment to service excellence.
- Experience with photography and graphic design is an asset.
- Organizational and management ability.
- Self-directed and ability to take initiative.
- Maintain a positive and professional image at all times
A career with St. Margaret's School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package, including comprehensive health benefits coverage. This full-time position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
- On-site, regular hours of work Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours/week
- Hours of work may exceed regular hours from time to time; overtime is required
- Busy office setting, fast paced environment, with multiple project work and frequent changes in priorities
- Communicating efficiently, effectively, and accurately with all members of the school community
- Interacting with the public, attending, and participating in presentations as well as representing the School at various functions
- Requires manual dexterity to use desktop computer and peripherals
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2022101 in the subject line of your email, by September 30, 2022.