Job Title: Development Officer
Reports to: Manager of Major Gifts
Status: Permanent position – Full-time (35 hours per week)
Location: Glen Site, E.S1.0647, Montréal (Québec)
The McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) Foundation has created the role of Development Officer to contribute to significant growth in our major gift portfolio and to advance our mission by fostering and building strong donor relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations.
Reporting to the Manager of Major Gifts, the Development Officer will play a key role in the Development team to ensure that the MUHC Foundation continues to grow and meet its objectives.
About The McGill University Health Centre Foundation
The MUHC Foundation plays a pivotal role in supporting exceptional programs, purchasing innovative medical equipment, fostering ground-breaking research, and ensuring the highest level of teaching.
In 2015, the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) and Royal Victoria Hospital (RVH) Foundations partnered after the Royal Victoria Hospital moved to the state-of the-art Glen site of the MUHC. Since integrating our Boards of Directors and staff into a single team, we have strengthened our fundraising capacity and contributed record-breaking amounts to support the greatest needs of the Royal Victoria Hospital. To better reflect who we are and our mission, in 2018 we officially merged and we are now one united foundation under the banner of the McGill University Health Centre
Foundation. We are focused on inspiring Montrealers to invest in patient care, research and teaching – so that the doctors and researchers of the MUHC can push the limits of what’s possible.
Our Foundation is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors which includes members from the medical, scientific, academic, and business communities. These dynamic leaders ensure that we maintain the highest standards with regards to ethics and best accounting practices. The Board oversees and approves the Foundation’s budget, fundraising goals, and the granting of funds raised to support the priorities of the MUHC.
For more information about the MUHC Foundation, please visit
The Development Officer has the ability to work in a team and demonstrated experience and success in cultivating and securing major gifts. The new incumbent will have deep knowledge of philanthropy and the strategic ability to identify future growth opportunities and our emerging potential with new donor groups.
A persuasive networker and connector, the Development Officer will have the proven ability to effectively and proactively engage philanthropists from diverse cultural communities. Authentic and genuine, with a high degree of emotional awareness, the ideal candidate will be intuitive and donor centric, understanding the nuances of donor interactions and in all situations, calibrating to build the strongest donor relationships and sharing the MUHC’s and Foundation’s stories.
Passionately excited by our mission and motivated by challenge, the Development Officer will welcome this unique and meaningful opportunity to grow the MUHC Foundation’s fundraising success. The successful candidate will combine their commitment to outstanding fundraising practice with a desire to inspire staff and stakeholders alike to achieve new levels of accomplishment in support for our world-class hospital centre.
The Development Officer is responsible for cultivating and managing an assigned portfolio of donors. Reporting to the Manager of Major Gifts, this position coordinates the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts for donors through personal and small group personal visits and insider experiences, strategic communications through all mediums, and personalization of outreach with the primary goals of retaining and upgrading these donors.
The incumbent is also responsible to oversee and execute special projects that contribute to the growth of new markets.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement a comprehensive action plan to cultivate, solicit, and upgrade donors. Personally cultivate and solicit donors with a goal of retaining and upgrading their gifts.
- Manage a portfolio of 150 identified prospects.
- Collaborate with the Development team on the strategy and plan for solicitation, stewardship, and cultivation to engage the donor group including highly personalized direct marketing efforts.
- Meet and exceed metrics tied to activities/moves, revenue, retention, upgrades, and meaningful cultivation.
- Develop and implement strategies that nurture donor loyalty and foster personal relationships with the organization.
- Responsible for tracking prospects and donors and documenting their cultivation and solicitation activities.
- Contribute to the development of communication materials, including publications, used in the cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement and stewardship of prospects.
- Develop and execute strategies for special direct market campaigns (print, electronic, and telephone) coordinated with major gift efforts and drives.
- Work collaboratively with the Major and Strategic Giving teams to identify and high capacity major gift donor prospects or legacy prospects for special cultivation.
- Maintaining and developing constructive relationships with Foundation managers;
- Implementation of action plans, as may be required, to meet the needs of the Foundation;
- Able to work within and promote a respectful and collaborative work environment
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- A passion to work in a fast-paced, fully integrated fundraising environment and an appreciation for the mission and purpose of the McGill University Health Centre Foundation.
- Bachelors Degree, certificate program in fundraising or equivalent direct work experience in the field.
- Minimum one year experience in fundraising or related area
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in fundraising face to face.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English and French.
- A high attention to detail and proven research and analytical ability.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- High personal motivation, time-efficiency, adaptability and positive general attitude.
- The ability to problem-solve, innovate, be creative and a willingness to learn.
- The ability to manage multiple projects at any given time, stay on schedule and meet deadlines with the ability to adjust to changing priorities.
- Maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information appropriately and with discretion.
- Have strong relationship skills, diplomacy, tact and self-control.
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
- Marketing knowledge/understanding of marketing fundamentals.
- Some evening and weekend work will be necessary.
We thank you for your interest in the MUHC Foundation and all submitted applications will be considered, however only selected candidates will be contacted for interview purposes.
Candidates must forward their CV and cover letter via email.
McGill University Health Centre Foundation
700-5100 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West
Montréal, QC H4A 3T2
Attn: Vanessa Pace