Permanent Full-Time Position
8:30am to 4:30pm (flexible) / Monday to Friday (hybrid)
Pay Grade H ($53,074 to $56,821 per annum)
About Emily Carr University
Merging studio practice, research and critical theory in a collaborative environment, Emily Carr University encourages experimentation at the intersections of art, design, media and technology. We're ranked as the top university in Canada to study art and design, and 24th in the world. We have 1,800 graduate and undergraduate students, with thousands more taking workshops, certificate programs and individual courses. Our faculty, staff and alumni are recognized as outstanding creators and leaders who advance the social, cultural and economic health of society. You can learn more about Emily Carr University at ecuad.ca/about.
As the Graphic Designer, you will create visual content that shares Emily Carr University's story and vision, promote its brand, and makes an impact across a variety of platforms. They work closely with other members of the Communications
- Marketing team to create engaging social media content, develop effective marketing campaigns and convey important information in clear visual formats.
The Graphic Designer uses diverse visual storytelling techniques to help inform, educate, and engage the university community as well as external audiences. They also support efforts to improve web content and usability and participate in developing communications and marketing plans to help meet the university's strategic objectives.
Benefits of joining the Emily Carr community:
- Enrollment in a comprehensive benefits package, including Dental Coverage, Extended Health, Disability Coverage and Life Insurance.
- Membership in the Municipal Pension Plan.
- Access to personalized telecommuting options.
- Competitive Vacation and Professional Development benefits.
As the successful applicant, you should possess:
- Two-year certificate or diploma in a related field, plus one year of specialized and/or ongoing training;
- Four years of work experience creating on-brand visual content for various digital platforms;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Excellent creative portfolio demonstrating conceptual thinking, visual storytelling, and design skills.
- Strong visual storytelling skills.
- Ability to communicate information through easily understandable visual content.
- Ability to design for the web and other digital media.
- Demonstrated understanding of accessibility, usability and inclusive design.
- Expert knowledge of design software, such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects.
- Competency with web content management and email marketing tools.
- Willingness to learn and experiment with new platforms, software, and techniques.
- Excellent eye for aesthetics and detail.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Effective interpersonal skills to collaborate in an inclusive cross-cultural environment.
- Values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility, and respect.
- Passionate about visual culture, internet culture and creativity.
Some Typical Duties:
1 Plans and creates engaging and accessible visual content for a variety of digital platforms.
2 Engages in all phases of creative projects from concept through execution, including storyboarding, wireframing, asset production, proofing, and testing.
3 Develops design concepts from creative briefs and makes recommendations to Communications
- Marketing staff.
4 Uses visual storytelling techniques to help inform, educate, and engage the university community and external audiences.
5 Develops user-friendly templates and provides support to internal teams on working with templates and adhering to brand standards.
6 Creates social media content, multimedia stories and marketing features in collaboration with team members.
7 Collaborates with marketing staff to create landing pages and email marketing campaigns.
8 Creates static and motion graphics for the university's digital signage system.
9 Designs graphic elements for the university website. Works with team members to continually improve website content, usability, and accessibility.
10 Creates assets for digital advertising campaigns, in consultation with marketing staff. Designs static and animated display ads, social media ads, video ads and landing pages.
11 Sources and creates visuals for news stories and editorial pieces in collaboration with team members.
12 Edits and retouches photographs. Supports digital asset management within the department.
13 Designs digital and print publications and other printed collateral, including reports, programs, whitepapers, posters and signage. Coordinates production with printers and other suppliers.
14 Works closely with agency partners to deliver campaign-ready assets and provide brand feedback.
15 Keeps abreast of developments in design practice, including new trends, techniques, and technologies.
16 Contributes to the development, maintenance and implementation of Emily Carr's brand standards and visual identity.
17 Participates in developing and implementing communications and marketing plans to meet ECU's strategic objectives.
18 Performs other related duties as required.
To apply for this job, please visit https://ecuad.peopleadmin.ca.
?Posting open until filled. Application review will begin 3 October 2022.
Emily Carr University especially invites those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized. These include women, persons with diverse gender expressions and identities, persons of all sexual orientations, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and First Nations, Metis, Inuit and Indigenous persons. All qualified people are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY Competition #SA044-2022