Founded in 2012, Surex is Canada's fastest growing online Insurance Marketplace. Surex's growth has been awarded by the Fintech Business of the Year Awards, Canadian Business' Growth ************* years in a row, and the Globe & Mail's Top Growing Companies as a leading Canadian insurtech company in the insurance brokerage space. Recently we were acknowledged for "Top Insurance Workplace" from Insurance Business Canada and 50 Top Workplaces by Silicon Review in 2019 & 2020. And we are just getting started!
At Surex, our mission is to give security, transparency, and comfort to Canadians. Currently we have 60,000+ policy holders across 9 Provinces and Territories. We are investing in increasing our capacity to scale and have goals of reaching 500,000+ customers.
We are a people first company that strives to create the best experience for our employees by creating an inclusive, collaborative, challenging environment to learn and problem solve on a daily basis.
We are currently looking for an experienced, highly motivated Full Stack Application Developer to join Surex's Cambridge, Ontario software development team. You'll be part of a cross-functional team that's responsible for the full software development life cycle, from conception, to implementation, to deployment.
About the role:
As a Full Stack Developer, you should be comfortable around both front-end and back-end coding languages, development frameworks and third-party libraries. You should also be a team player with a knack for visual design and utility. Successful candidates will be able to context switch between building REST APIs, designing microservices, helping DevOps write server setup scripts, and designing data models. Applicants should also be confident with Agile methodologies.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Plan, estimate and do technical design for development projects before implementation
- Assist DevOps in streamlining deploy and build procedures
- Work with other teams in the enterprise to implement security, performance, and scalability improvements to business-critical web applications
- Work as part of a development team focused on maintaining and adding features to web applications for brokers and insurance customer
- Mentor and guide less experienced developers as they learn how to build web apps
- Work with the VP of Technology and the Product Ownership team to clarify, plan and prioritize development projects.
- Design client-side and server-side architecture
- Build the front-end of applications through appealing visual design
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Build robust, scalable APIs for integration with our business partners
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade software
- Create security and data protection settings
- Build features and applications with a mobile responsive design
- Write technical documentation
- Work with data scientists and analysts to improve software Qualifications & Skills:
- 7+ years experience as a Full Stack Developer or similar role building single-page web applications in an Agile or Scrum team
- Ideally with 2-3 years of team lead experience
- Experience developing desktop and mobile applications
- Familiarity with common stacks
- Familiarity with databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design
- Experience with AWS, PHP, Linux, and Ansible
- Symfony experience (or Laravel)
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Great attention to detail, curiosity, and an analytical mind
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or relevant field What we offer:
- Competitive Compensation
- Paid Vacation & Paid Flex Days
- Benefits & Health Spending Account
- Ability to work from home
- Secure future in the digital space
- Flat Organization- ideas and feedback are welcomed Surex is dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination on any basis including race, color, creed, religion, national/ethnic origin, sex, age, family status, or sexual orientation. We are committed to improving access and opportunities for all individuals, including those with disabilities by identifying and removing barriers that may prevent, inhibit, or restrict their access to employment opportunities. If you require accommodation at any stage of our recruitment and selection process, please contact us at *******.
Please note that all applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and must be willing to consent to a background check.
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about *************, please visit our website at *************