This high-profile role is responsible for driving strategic communications initiatives across the organization and providing service to internal client groups including People, Product, Services, Sales, and our Executive Office. In this role, you will partner with teams across the organization to develop, integrate and execute internal and external communications plans and programs that promote trust and confidence in AltaML and its leadership. We are looking for a storyteller. A passionate communicator. A creative professional.
Reporting to the CFO, and working closely with colleagues across the business, the Communications Manager will deliver trusted advice and have exceptional skills to build mutually beneficial relationships to raise the profile and reputation of AltaML. Our ideal candidate will have experience working with agency partners and freelancers to build fully integrated plans across owned, earned, and social media channels. This high-impact role will make a meaningful difference in how we communicate internally and externally.
What helps you stand out:
The successful candidate will bring deep relationships with media and influencers, a service mindset, impeccable writing and editing skills, and a commitment to delivering excellent work while managing competing deadlines.
The role will be predominately focused on communications (70%) but the candidate will support marketing activities (30%) focusing on company brand, demand generation & content marketing, and digital marketing including social media.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for developing strategy and coordinating executive, external, and internal communication for AltaML along with supporting public and government relations.
- Responsible for overseeing communications and marketing strategies for earned, owned, and social media channels.
- Working with external vendors to execute paid strategies to support amplifying AltaML's reach and driving lead generation.
- Lead a small team of direct reports and external agency partners and freelancers.
- Meticulous planner and coordinator who can provide clear direction ensuring both internal and external resources work as a cohesive unit.
- Establish/grow relationships with key media and influencers within key Canadian and U.S. markets to raise the profile of AltaML and drive strategic coverage.
- Strategic communication partner for the Co-CEO's Office and the Executive Leadership Team. You will act as the key contact, sustaining a relationship of trust and confidence.
- Responsible for developing an annual executive communication plan and assembling teams to deliver projects that serve the needs of the Co-CEOs and Executive Leadership team.
- You will support, and coach executive leaders in building/growing media profiles.
- Responsible for developing an annual communication plan for the People Team to support talent attraction, retention, and AltaML's unique culture.
- Responsible for developing an annual communication plan for AltaML's Product and Service teams to support building AltaML's brand externally in the market.
- Work closely with the sales team to execute demand generation activities.
- Monitor and manage the impact of communications, ensure consistent service delivery, identify areas to increase value, and bring forward creative solutions.
- Anticipate and provide proactive briefings and insight to our teams.
- Contribute to strategic planning, budget forecasting, and reporting for the communications function.
- Be a positive influence and contributor to AltaML's culture.
What You Bring:
- Post-secondary education in communications, public relations, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years experience in strategic or corporate communications, with an additional 1-2 years leading and managing communication teams and agency partners.
- Strong existing relationships with media and influencers.
- Succinct writing style - you know how to get to the point quickly and deliver information in a compelling way.
- Attention to detail and the ability to tackle tasks and various-sized projects with tight deadlines
- Strong initiative, planning, and organizational and execution skills.
- Demonstrates a positive record of working effectively with senior executives, management, and staff.
- Experience developing and implementing communication strategies and plans.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential issues.
- Ability to retain perspective in urgent situations while meeting tight deadlines in a complex and demanding organization.
- Able to work across multiple locations as the incumbent will need to communicate and coordinate with individuals in person and remotely.
First Nations Acknowledgment
As this role is an opportunity in Toronto, Ontario - AltaML acknowledges that we are on the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and the Wendat peoples and is now home to many diverse First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples. AltaML also acknowledges that Toronto is covered by Treaty 13 signed with the Mississaugas of the Credit, and the Williams Treaties signed with multiple Mississaugas and Chippewa bands.
AltaML is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a safe, diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds including ethnicity, religion, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, family status, age, nationality, and education levels to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.