The Administrative Assistant position leads and coordinates all secretarial and administrative duties in the ministry unit.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Perform general office duties such as answers and screens telephone and directs enquires and answers inquires; greets and escorts visitors; files documents electronically or manually; photocopies and distributes materials as requested; and sends and receives fax/email material as requested; resolves routine inquiries
- Draft and type correspondences or generates reports (e.g. letters dealing with administrative issues, dictation, acknowledgements); checks typing for accuracy; researches and responds to difficult enquiries on behalf of the corps officers
- Handle and ensure the protection of extremely confidential and sensitive employee/Officer and/or program files
- Draft and distribute thank you letters to volunteers and donors
- Assist with the preparation for the Annual Ministry Unit Review
- Maintain database (e.g., volunteer information, contact lists, inventory, hours worked); may input data into The Salvation Army Management Information System - S.A.M.I.S
- Draft and prepare church bulletins, presentations, brochures, fliers, advertisements, invitations, certificates subject to Corps Officer approval (e.g., power point presentations)
- Schedule meetings, prepares agenda, types and circulate minutes
- Keep track of the Corps Officers' calendars
- Order all stationery supplies and maintains adequate office supplies and other supplies as needed (Community Family Services supplies); Maintains postage machine and arranges for maintenance of office equipment
- Ensure that all financial information is input to the proper accounts following the SA policy and procedures.
- Verify payables and process entries to Business World and TEM (invoices, payment vouchers, Element statements, Visa statements, etc.)
- Perform duties such as issuing donor receipts for income tax purposes; maintain knowledge of CRA rules.
- Ensure all monies received are receipted and timely deposits are made. Entries of donations and member contributions in Shelby
- Serve as Custodian of gift cards - ensuring journal entries are made and verifying the inventory, track receipt and use of gift cards
- Assist with annual budget preparation, file statements, ensure that MU leaders have reviewed and signed off where applicable
- Kettles (as a support to the kettle coordinator)- contact businesses of kettle locations, obtain insurance certificates, organize counters, make deposits, record in SA Kettle System, order Volunteer Scheduler Pro. Record Tip Tap donations
- Assist with seasonal programs such as Christmas Kettles, and other Community and Family Service programs as directed; ensure that ministry objectives are accomplished
- Manage Christmas letter campaign timelines/prepare letters
- Attend and take minutes for Christmas/Kettle meetings; distribute minutes in a timely manner
- Prepare the annual Christmas Report in an accurate and timely manner
Perform other related duties as required.
- This is a permanent position based on 25 hours per week
- Flexibility in scheduling is required and will vary
- The work environment is typically in a general office setting in generally agreeable conditions
- This job requires using a computer frequently, working in a sitting position for periods of time and required to lift 10 pounds
- Some travel is associated with this position.
Normal hours of work: Work can be scheduled between Monday - Friday 9:00am - 2:30pm. The hours of work and work schedule may vary according to requirements of responsibilities and determined in consultation with your supervisor. Some flexibility in scheduling is required.
Please note may require greater scheduling flexibility and a change to hours of work and/or additional hours up to a maximum 35 during the months of November and December due to the Christmas seasonal programming. The supervisor will set the hours of work and work schedule as per operational requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Completed up to two (2) years of Community College, preferably a Business Administration Certificate and/or an Accounting Diploma
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Minimum of two (2) years of prior related experience, including administrative, senior administrative /secretarial
- Some payroll experience in UltiPro would be a definite asset
- Experience dealing with office equipment and tools
- Valid Ontario Class ?G? Driver's License; insurance, and a Driver's abstract for review and verification that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required
SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES:
- Attention to detail, problem solving and analytical skills
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office products is required - i.e., Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and telephone, photocopier, scanner, fax machine, room reservations, etc.
- Lead by example, by demonstrating a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn and be flexible in the face of change
- Ability to maintain information in confidence and exercise good judgement
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, attention to detail, problem solving and analytical skills with an aptitude for accuracy and thoroughness and consistent follow-up
- Exceptional organizational, prioritizing and time management skills to effectively handle multiple priorities and meet competing deadlines with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and participate as an active and responsible team member in a cooperative team environment
- Proficient in working in a computerized environment; must demonstrate strong skills using Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Power Point
- Excellent interpersonal skills, integrity, and adaptability
- Exhibit good listening skills, have strong oral/written communication skills and respect authority
- Able to work in a consultative, diplomatic and tactful manner when dealing with the public, both in person and on the telephone
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army's health and safety policies and procedures
- Represent the organization in a positive, professional, and engaging manner
- Ability to undergo applicable screening and background checks successfully that are satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion (i.e., The Salvation Army Abuse Registry) and provide an original copy of a Background Check screening
- Ability and willingness to develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
You must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
August 4, 2022
St Thomas Citadel
$18.00 per hour
380 Elm St
August 11, 2022
Applications Accepted By:
Captain Jon Savage via Isarta