Job Category: Infromation & Technology
Division & Section: Technology Services, Office of the Chief Technology Officer
Work Location: Metro Hall, 55 John St
Job Type & Duration: Permanent, Full-time
Hourly Rate: $ 49.44 - $54.16
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Affiliation: L79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open: 1
Posting Period: 5- Aug-2022 to 19-Aug-2022
As a System Development Specialist (Front-End / Mobile Hybrid App Developer), you will be working on public and staff single page and mobile applications for the City of Toronto. In this role, you will be maintaining applications built on our existing frameworks and helping the team migrate and adopt new Front-End frameworks. You will be working with existing microservice API solutions and applying configuration to customize these APIs for your Front-End applications. As a part of the team, you will get to work through all phases of the software development life cycle and contribute in the development of corporate system architecture, methodologies, standards, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Performs analysis and design duties as well as programming, modelling and scripting, testing, documentation and deployment preparation.
- Coordinates and prepares needs analysis and detailed component design.
- Conducts user interviews to determine detailed systems requirements.
- Completes preliminary analysis, system and functional design, workflow diagrams for quality systems development.
- Prepares front-end prototypes and mockups of user interface.
- Designs, codes, tests, implements and maintains HTML5 and hybrid mobile apps.
- Designs and develops systems that comply with access and privacy legislation.
- Coordinates and develops program specifications and documentation.
- Designs and conducts all levels of testing i.e. unit, system, integration, regression, performance, security, usability, optimization/configuration and coordinates user acceptance testing.
- Liaises and coordinates with internal and external consultants in detailed systems deliverables and technical problem resolution.
- Implements enterprise in-house developed/custom/packaged systems, component releases, and systems changes.
- Tests integrated systems to ensure system compatibility and proper functional integration.
- Provides application maintenance and enhancement including implementation of vendor systems fixes and patches.
- Conducts quality assurance on departmental and external developments.
- Develops systems interfaces between enterprise and divisional systems.
- Performs information and application data conversions.
- Provides development support to users by providing technical assistance and troubleshooting.
- Provides documentation and instruction/training to users of the system.
- Designs and develops application security interfaces to enable clients in controlling and administering access to their systems.
- Provides expertise, advice and technical skills for information and application service delivery.
- Conducts research and evaluation of hardware/software/framework and makes recommendations.
- Recommends, presents and demonstrates system solutions to City management and corporate business clients.
- Conducts presentations, system demonstrations and system walk-throughs at project review meetings.
- Participates as a team member in the execution of project plans providing technical expertise and advice re: architecture, development tools, work effort estimates.
- Contributes to project charters, statements of work and project plans, project status reports and variance explanations, risk identification and mitigation planning.
- Conducts research, investigates and recommends best practices for information and application services.
- Contributes to post-implementation project reviews.
- Recommends improvements to current methodologies, processes, standards, policies and guidelines.
- Contributes in planning of future system growth and provides detailed work plans.
- Participates in enterprise projects.
- Conducts feasibility studies. Contribute to business cases, RFI/P/Q's, technical reports by researching and participating in evaluations and recommending solutions.
- Determines user training needs.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Extensive experience in business system analysis, rapid application development and programming in a large, diverse computing environment.
- Extensive experience in using REST APIs, including JSON and XML APIs.
- Experience developing digital products that comply with accessibility standards and/or best practices (WCAG 2.x AA, AODA, WAI-ARIA).
- Experience optimizing for the accessibility features of the platform (HTML, iOS, Android).
- Experience creating program specifications and code documents including use cases, business process models, swimlane process, entity relationship diagrams, class and component models.
- Experience developing and/or maintaining large scale information technology applications.
- Experience in working effectively with a group of multidisciplinary staff in a project team setting.
- Post-secondary education in computer science or a related discipline, or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
You must also have:
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively as a member of a team, collaboratively with others in multidisciplinary team environment and work independently, as required.
- Ability to be self-motivated and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to negotiate effective resolution of conflicting business priorities with corporate business
- Strong analytical, problem solving, listening and interacting skills.
- Demonstrated business acumen to establish and maintain effective consulting relationships with corporate clients and vendors, using a strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work with competing demands, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of hybrid mobile apps development and Cordova is an asset.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies relating to data warehousing, e-service, quality assurance tools, data retention and document management/imaging.
- Experience in the following is an asset: Java, iOS mobile app development, Android mobile app development, OData, SAP Fiori, SAP UI5, SharePoint 2013, Oracle PL/SQL, Software AG WebMethods, web communication, Scrum rapid application development methodology.
- Ability to be on call for support of production systems.
- Willing to work flexible hours including days, afternoons, nights and weekends, as required.
Note: All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's Mandatory Vaccination Policy. Candidates will be required to show proof of vaccination during the recruitment process.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City's Internal Job Posting Portal.
Note: The applicant pool from this job posting may be used for similar summer job opportunities in various divisions.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City's commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City's Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.