Job Posting Open Date
Job Posting Close Date
Anticipated Layoff Start Date #1
Anticipated Layoff End Date #1
Anticipated Layoff Start Date #2
Anticipated Layoff End Date #2
Position Start Date
Position End Date
COVID-19 Work Arrangements
This position will work on campus
Applicant Portal Position Category
Support Staff (CUPE)
S - Pay Grade 9
$27.26 - $29.14 per hour
Number of positions to be hired under this posting
Additional Pay Considerations
Days of the Week
Monday to Friday
Monday - Friday
Schedule - Variable
Total Hours Per Week
Term Part Time
Employees & General Public
Print & Graphic Services
Reporting to the Supervisor, Graphic Services and working closely with the Camosun marketing and communications team, the Graphic Designer designs print and electronic publications and creative materials for a variety of promotional and informational projects.
These products include, but are not limited to, viewbooks, advertisements, flyers, forms, infographics, cards, booklets, brochures, banners, posters, logos, brand and identity packages, business cards, garments, college calendars, maps, web & social media graphics, design templates, display and signage/wide-format collateral.
- Conceptualizes, plans, and produces visual designs in print and electronic media to support various marketing and communication initiatives/projects, and other general information projects;
- Based on end goal, determines size, arrangement/layout, colour palette, style and tone of components of material and copy, including typeface, illustration and photo selection;
- Determines optimal production software choice for project and produces project files in relevant software
- Creates design concepts and sample layouts based on knowledge of layout/design principles and aesthetic design concepts; applies design ?eye? and creative principles to projects; applies various colour-management theories and techniques as required
- Determines final presentation/output solutions and liaises with Print Services production staff on various specifications, pre/output requirements, schedule/deadlines and costs/quotes for clients as required.
- Researches, locates and purchases appropriate elements required using Internet or in-house cataloguing systems;
- Advises the Coordinator, Print Services of any special stock or project supplies to be ordered;
- Working with the Marketing and Communications team, supports the development and maintenance of the Camosun brand, print and electronic graphic standards and guidelines
- Reviews assigned project requisitions and contacts clients to discuss project, gather any necessary/missing details or special requirements, budgets, timelines and to provides costs/quotes
- Applies problem-solving strategies to arrive at best solutions/products to fit clients' needs;
- Researches, gathers and provides clients with a variety of related design/print options;
- Utilizing various communication methods, provides clients with a variety of proofing options; corrects and edits files according to client requests;
- Leads and/or participates in related client and department meetings
- Liaises with internal departments as necessary on final product installation, mail-out & delivery details, etc.
- Liaises with external service providers and/or end-users as applicable to project
- Tracks and completes related file maintenance using department standards
- Maintains accurate scheduling, time-tracking, docket notes, project status and billing records using applicable software; completes accurate and timely billing processes
- Assists clients with requisition/form submissions, as well as best method of preparing and submitting project files;
- Maintains knowledge of upgrades/changes in software, hardware and related tools as they apply to graphics production;
- Uses, maintains and trouble-shoots problems with other related system software and hardware as required
- As assigned by supervisor, provides an art direction role working with AV Services on scheduled photo-shoots;
- Sets up & maintains shared, editable publications, and demonstrate use to college staff as required;
- Proofs or assists in proofing external service provider output
- Imports XML file data into Graphics database system and prepares dockets/requisitions as needed
Performs other related duties similar in scope and complexity
Two-year post-secondary diploma in Graphic Design and five years recent experience in the graphics industry utilizing Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign and Photoshop, in a fulltime capacity, for a variety of end-uses and output including single and full-colour offset press, full-colour electronic print reproduction, webpage production, email and multi-platform output or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Skills and ability in print and electronic design must be demonstrated through a current, high-quality portfolio;
- Demonstrated interpersonal, customer-service skills;
- Excellent English language skills;
- In-depth skills and experience with Microsoft Office suite, electronic-file transfer systems, scanners, and network storage;
- Demonstrated ability coordinating design projects and work in a team environment;
- Proven attention to detail and ability to multi-task within a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and costs
The core capabilities are required for all positions at the college.
Focus on Students and Their Success (Core)
- We all have a role to play in promoting and supporting students - directly or indirectly - contributing to their success, education and transition as they build their path to the future.
Cultural Alignment (Core)
- Inclusion and respect align with Camosun's traditions of lifelong learning and positive, supportive experiences for all. We examine our individual and institutional cultures and, through indigenization, consider other ways of knowing (thinking), being (approaches), doing (acting), and relating.
Fostering and Nurturing Relationships (Core)
- Fostering and nurturing relationships is at the core of everything we do. Successful workplace relationships take time to develop and include building trust, engagement and collaboration.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $27.26-$29.14 per hour