The Refugee Hub was founded at the University of Ottawa in 2012. Our mission is to support the development of new opportunities for refugee protection through innovative research, programs, and partnerships. We are supported in our work by a team of in-house experts, a wide range of consultants, and a broad and diverse community of partners and stakeholders including governments, civil society organizations, private sector leaders as well as local communities, sponsors, and refugees. Our drive for creative impact leads to engagement at the global, national, and local levels.
The Refugee Hub is also a partner in the Global Refugee Sponsorship Initiative (GRSI), a unique and ambitious multi-stakeholder collaboration that encourages and supports the creation of new community sponsorship programs around the world. The GRSI aims to increase and improve overall refugee resettlement, strengthen local host communities, and improve the narrative surrounding newcomers. Other partners in the GRSI include the Government of Canada, the UNHCR, the Open Society Foundations, the Giustra Foundation, and the Shapiro Foundation.
We are seeking a Communications Coordinator to define, support, and coordinate the Refugee Hub's and the GRSI's ambitious communications mandates.
The ideal candidate will have three or more years of significant experience working in communications, social media, and/or public relations roles and will be able to define and coordinate the execution of strategies in close partnership with a set of relevant stakeholders. They should thrive in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment which will require them to work across several innovative partnerships and projects and cooperate with a highly motivated team spread across several countries.
Under the supervision of the Refugee Hub's Head of Global Operations, and working in close cooperation with other members of the Refugee Hub team the Communication Coordinator will:
- Develop and implement communication strategies to support a strong, consistent, and targeted narrative about innovative protection pathways for refugees, community-driven refugee welcome, and the role of the Refugee Hub and the GRSI in advancing refugee protection objectives;
- Coordinate with the GRSI's Communication Working Group to develop and implement the partnership's communication approach;
- Supervise the Refugee Hub's Communications Assistant, external consultants, and contractors.
- Develop and write high-quality and effective communications materials, including talking points, press releases, panel presentations, website copy, and social media content;
- Coordinate the development of the Refugee Hub's and the GRSI's websites and social media presence (in particular on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram);
- Coordinate the development of GRSI promotional videos and other multimedia products;
- Maintain and promote the consistent internal and external use of the Refugee Hub's and the GRSI's identity and branding guidelines;
- Develop communications products to support stakeholder relations and development/fundraising work.
- University degree in a relevant field
- 3+ years of professional experience in communications and/or public relations roles
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage projects, supervise students and/or employees, and coordinate external consultants and service providers
- A can-do attitude and an ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Highly organized with strong planning and problem-solving skills
- Published writing experience (journalism or other)
- Demonstrated experience in strategic communications
- Familiarity with refugee issues, global refugee politics, intergovernmental or public affairs, community sponsorship, or other related areas
- Familiarity with working across different languages, countries, and cultures in a remote office environment
Applicants must have a right to work in their country of residence.
This is a full-time remote position within the range of Eastern Standard Time (EST) to Central European Standard Time (CEST). Candidate must be available for flexible working hours, including meetings in CEST and EST. Occasional travel to Ottawa or other locations may be required.
- One-year contract (renewable)
- Cover letter
- A sample portfolio of visual graphics, including social media or other assets; and/or a writing sample of no longer than five pages.
Please apply through Bamboo HR at refugeehub.bamboohr.com/jobs, to be considered for this position. We will be interviewing candidates on a rolling basis.
The Refugee Hub is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply.
The Refugee Hub will provide accommodations upon request during the recruitment, selection, and assessment process for candidates with a disability.