Position: Administrative Assistant
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department : Executive Office Team
Reports To: Executive Office Manager
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time, Permanent
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a professional, reliable and diligent Administrative Assistant to support the efficient and effective day-to-day operations by joining the Executive Office Team. This position is permanent, full-time and will support the Senior Director, Research Operations & Therapeutic Innovation, Director of Communications and Associate Director, Scientific Secretariat. Strong interpersonal, organizational and customer service skills are essential for success in this role.
Fully vaccinated is defined as having received all of the required doses of a Health Canada approved vaccine and having received the final dose at least 14 days before your employment start date.
As described above, the requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If the candidate is unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccine for a reason protected by the Code, requests for accommodation from the vaccine policy will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
To learn more about working at OICR, visit our career page.
The responsibilities include:
- Proficiently provide administrative support to the Senior Director, Research Operations & Therapeutic Innovation, Director of Communications and Associate Director, Scientific Secretariat by managing calendars, managing professional memberships and conference fees, drafting day-to-day correspondence, reviewing and editing written documents, ensuring all documents are brought forward in advance of appointments, tracking what needs to be completed and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Schedule meetings with both internal and external contacts.
- Coordinate workshops/meetings, help develop presentations and meeting material, occasionally take minutes, arrange travel and accommodations, set-up and clean-up meeting rooms, including arranging catering as required.
- Organize and maintain electronic and manual files in accordance with OICR policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary Reception back-up (lunch coverage and vacation).
- Assist with the organization and execution of OICR All Staff Meetings/Town Halls.
- Conduct administrative activities associated with OICR's Return to MaRS (a.k.a. return to the office and laboratories) initiative.
- Assist with the coordination of some institutional events, including scheduling meetings, tracking registrations, and event set-up/tear-down.
- Distribute OICR Research List events and regularly update membership listing.
- Oversee the University of Toronto PubMed Library account registry.
- Track and record Research Operations expenses.
- Book travel arrangements using Travel Edge Concur.
- Coordinate, process, and track the submission of invoices and expenses, prepare expense reports and reconcile monthly purchasing cards.
- Liaise with other administrative and executive staff within OICR, Program Managers both within and external to OICR, and external stakeholders.
- Provide vacation coverage for the Executive Office Manager's Administrative Coordinator, as needed.
- Maintain office supply inventory and order supplies as needed.
- Attend bi-monthly Administrative Council meetings and keep the team apprised accordingly.
- Ability to flex workday hours to meet intermittent special events or tasks (e.g., logistics associated with meetings, deadlines associated with budget or operational reviews, etc.).
- Performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
- 2-5 years' experience in reception/administration preferred.
- Demonstrates exemplary customer service skills and good judgment.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills; quality and detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong internal and external relationship management skills, ability to interact and work professionally and effectively with staff and vendors.
- Ability to work well under pressure, prioritize and multi-task within a fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivation and initiative.
- Receptive to feedback.
- Adaptability, flexibility, diplomacy and tact.
- Advanced proficiency in computer software, e.g., MS Word and Outlook, Excel.
- Familiar with using web browser-based applications for timekeeping, and data entry.
- Post-secondary education is an asset.
OICR is a collaborative, not-for-profit research institute accelerating the development of new cancer research discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario. We are dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals who share our values of excellence, innovation, collaboration, impact, responsibility and community.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OICR is committed to fostering a climate of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. This commitment is central to, and mutually supportive of, our research excellence mandate. We welcome and respect the diversity of all members of our community and we support an inclusive culture for all. We welcome all applicants, and encourage applications from racialized persons, Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S persons, and others who may contribute to furthering a diversity of ideas within our community. OICR is committed to fair assessment of a candidate's abilities, and consideration for diversity of thought, method, and experience. Providing an accessible workplace and recruitment process is important to us, as described in our Accessibility Plan (https://oicr.on.ca/accessibility/). Should you require accommodation during any stage in the recruitment process, please complete the form at the bottom of page https://oicr.on.ca/careers/. Information received related to accommodation will be handled confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .pdf or .doc file.