AHLA Marketing and Communications Manager Position - Maternity Leave Cover
The AHLA is looking to fill a one-year maternity leave position for a strategic Marketing & Communications Manager. This is a full-time, temporary position based on a 37.5 hour work week. The position will work regular office hours, with occasional evenings and weekends, from the AHLA's office in Edmonton.
Who are you?
You enjoy preparing creative and compelling content that inspires your audience to take action and feel connected to the organization. Your content is driven by an understanding of who our members are, and what is important to them.
You specialize in crafting digital communications, including e-newsletters, website content management, and social media, and you're looking for an opportunity to take the lead on developing marketing strategy in your role.
We have just the opportunity you're looking for.
Who are we?
We're the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA), the voice of Alberta hotels. We bring together Alberta hotels to help our members prosper. Our advocacy work protects and promotes the interests of our members with regard to legislation, policy, and regulations that affect Alberta's tourism and hospitality industry. Our cost savings programs provide add value to members and improve the quality of hotel operations. Our safety programming provides current and relevant training and resources for the industry as a whole.
We've been around for over a century, and a large part of our success comes down to our service-oriented, collaborative, and innovative team.
That's where you come in.
Marketing and Communications Manager
This role will provide maternity leave coverage for our Marketing and Communications Manager. We're looking for a sharp and talented professional to develop and execute our marketing and communications plans. The successful candidate will be able to function both at the strategic and tactical level.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead annual communications planning in alignment with strategic goals, business plans, and budgets.
- Identify and distill key messages for a wide variety of audiences through multiple channels.
- Understand B2B communications and our members, who may represent one hotel or multiple properties across the country.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external partners to create content and communications that effectively deliver key messaging and speak to our audience.
- Research and analyze market trends, member/customer data, survey data, and competitor offerings to evaluate, develop, and deliver content that is relevant and valuable to clients and stakeholders.
- Understand the AHLA's products & services, and become a subject matter expert so that you can confidently produce engaging content.
- Create content through newsletters, web content, press releases, blog posts, social media, videos, and print and digital marketing on an ongoing and continuous basis.
- Develop, execute, and measure the effectiveness of communications using print, digital, and social channels as well as through meetings and events to engage and generate revenue.
- Provide support and subject matter expertise during the implementation of our new Association Management System (AMS) and Learning Management System (LMS).
You are fluent in digital communications and feel at home in the back end of a website or a social media scheduling tool. You're innovative, a great communicator, and work collaboratively with staff, members, and stakeholders. As a small team, we're all hands-on-deck, meaning there will be plenty of learning opportunities, variety, and a chance to own your role.
In addition to being an effective communicator, you are:
- A self-starter with the ability to develop and execute multiple strategic marketing and/or communications plans.
- Strong ability to forecast and predict communications needs.
- Skilled at B2B communications with a strong focus on your intended audience while developing communications.
- Highly analytical and always researching and referencing data to drive decisions.
- ROI focused and intentional in the creation of key messages and content.
- A storyteller who is confident in creating evidence-based narratives to communicate information.
- Able to prioritize, organize, and manage multiple communications projects.
- A degree or diploma in business, marketing, public relations, communications, or related field.
- 5+ years of content creation, marketing, communications, and/or public relations.
- Demonstrated competency with a range of communications platforms: website content management software and supporting software, e-newsletter programs, design programs, digital media, and databases.
- Demonstrated experience in writing and editing, proofreading, designing reader-responsive communication, storytelling, and media relations.
- Leadership experience.
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator/InDesign, Mailchimp, WordPress, Canva or similar programs.
Working with the AHLA
We're a close-knit, collaborative group of people committed to providing the best service and value to our members. Some of our team members have been with us for 5, 10, and even 20 years, which we think says a lot. Each of us embraces the AHLA's 5 Core Values:
- We live with Integrity - We choose to do the right thing, even when it's hard.
- We take pride in Serving - Service is an attitude. It's about doing your best, in whatever job you've been given to do.
- We embrace Challenge - If you prefer a job that is familiar with repetitive tasks and little disruption, then working at the AHLA is probably not for you.
- We are Stewards - Our members have entrusted us with the physical, financial, and reputational assets of the association. We demonstrate stewardship of these assets at all times.
- We have Fun - If you want to work for us, bring your passion and enthusiasm, and prepare to have some fun!
In 2018, the AHLA implemented the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) to help us better execute on our vision and instill clear focus, discipline and accountability throughout our organization. The EOS tools allow our team to work with greater clarity and consistently achieve better results.
- Competitive salary to commensurate with experience.
- Excellent vacation plan.
- Health, medical, and dental benefits.
- People-centered, positive work culture in a creative and entrepreneurial environment.
The AHLA is an equal opportunity employer. Any applicant that meets the qualifications above is encouraged to apply. Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada, and be able to provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19.
To apply, please upload a resume and cover letter in PDF format outlining your suitability for the position to Marissa Schmidt.