Requisition ID: 36415
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the x?m??k??y??m (Musqueam), S?wx?wú7mesh (Squamish), and s?lilw?ta? (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world's most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Event Services Manager is responsible for liaising between the Booking & Event Coordination Office and Audience Services team to operationalize timely and accurate event information that informs the delivery of events at Vancouver's four civic theatres: the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, the Orpheum, the Vancouver Playhouse and the Annex. The Events Services Manager, working in tandem with the Audience Services Manager, is also responsible for providing operational leadership and oversight of frontline employees; managing all aspects of events at the Vancouver Civic Theatres (VCT).
The Manager strives to enhance the patron and client experience as the Manager on Duty for front of house (FOH), food and beverage (F&B), security and other staff at the venues during the events. The position has coordination and/or oversight responsibility for all events-related operational activities and controls including live inventory management of merchandise, settlement of VCT Presents events, health and safety compliance, employee supervision and performance management, scheduling, payroll, and attendance. A key component of this role will be to contribute to relevant annual budgets and be accountable to financial performance and key performance indicators for the department.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Theatre Operations, the Event Services Manager provides leadership to staff and is responsible for managing employees (an event team of approximately 6 FTEs, 15 RPTs and over 150 auxiliary staff responsible for customer service, supervision and administrative duties,) including participating in the hiring and on-boarding of frontline staff, coaching, training and development, performance evaluation and attendance management, discipline up to and including dismissal, and representing the Employer in the grievance process. Operation policies and procedures are monitored, communicated and implemented by the Manager in order to ensure consistency of operations. The Events Services Manager is a member of the management team and exercises independent judgement and is involved in problem solving for a variety of issues and situations.
The VCT operates seven days a week with the majority of events taking place Wednesday to Sunday in the evenings. As a result, the Event Services Manager's expected hours of work, while flexible to be responsive to the schedule of events, in general will be Wednesday to Sunday and from 3:00pm-11:00pm on show days.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides overall leadership to staff, models desired values such as diversity, equity, inclusion, respect, collaboration, adaptability, innovation, initiative and strategic thinking.
- Provides input into annual budget planning and projects and prepares related reports throughout the year. Is accountable for monitoring and adhering to event specific budgets
- Represents management on special and ad hoc committees such as Labour Management and OH&S.
- Participates in recruitment, and selection of staff as needed to maintain appropriate staffing level for a variety of positions which include front line and supervisory roles.
- Contributes to on-boarding and training of new frontline staff.
- Administers provisions of applicable collective agreements, City policies and other applicable legislation. And provides leadership in the resolution of disputes, meets with staff and participates in grievance meetings and throughout the process.
- Participates in setting performance goals and coaches employees to achieve desired results; creates performance plans, conducts performance reviews and provides feedback to employees as part of the management team.
- Establishes and monitors attendance management goals and meets with employees to address and resolve attendance issues.
- In conjunction with Audience Services Manager, determines appropriate staff compliment needed for events in order to ensure proper coverage, while not overstaffing.
- Liaises with external ticketing service providers and performs settlement services.
- Collaborates with management team and Finance department in order to create systems for tracking and monitoring budget.
- Complies with, and oversees Health and Safety regulations, ensures safe work procedures are in place and followed and investigates issues as required in a timely manner.
- In collaboration with Security Manager and Audience Services Manager, implements and monitors emergency response procedures, trains staff and ensures knowledge and information is kept up to date.
- Ensures the facilities meet the standards of the VCT in terms of cleanliness, repairs and maintenance and communicates concerns to management team.
- Actively participates in management meetings, providing feedback and other relevant information that will aid in decision making at the VCT.
- Adheres to written policies and procedures and the communication of same to staff.
- Manages special events and supervises staff and suppliers as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Post-Secondary education in Theatre or Hospitality Management including Business and HR or equivalency in a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of management experience working in Performing Arts venues.
- Experience in human resources and managing large teams in a unionized environment.
- Experience in management and development of budgets, and facilities management.
- Serving Right Certified.
- Food Safe Certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of relevant regulations/laws such as liquor, noise, emergency response and food/beverage handling.
- Considerable knowledge of pertinent Worksafe and Occupational Health and Safety standards.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to set personal and team goals and objectives, and provide team management, coaching and performance management to achieve.
- Sound financial management with strong analytical skills and the ability to work in a fiscally sound manner.
- Ability to carry out negotiations and interest-based conflict resolution.
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written, and exceptional problem-solving skills
- Ability to create and maintain positive relationships with staff, colleagues, and internal and external stakeholders/clients through successful collaborative partnerships.
- Ability to use relevant software programs.
- Ability to prepare reports, proposals and monitor expenditures.
- Sound judgement and the ability to effectively and professionally represent the Vancouver Civic Theatres and the City of Vancouver.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and work across multiple sites.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department : Arts, Culture and Community Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2022
Salary Information: RNG-070: $77,367 to $96,699 per annum
Application Close: July 8, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.