Do you have a passion for raising awareness of issues of homelessness and poverty in our communities? Join our Communications Team!
The Mustard Seed is rated highly as a Best Christian Workplace and humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services-food, clothing and housing, and support services-education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy for Red Deer operations that will raise awareness of the issues of poverty in the inner city and profile The Mustard Seed in various locations in the broader community, including churches, businesses, foundations, and individuals.
Position Type: Full time role for 12-months
Reporting to: Chief Communications Officer
Location: Red Deer, AB
- Clearly communicate the mission, vision, core values, and story of The Mustard Seed in Red Deer with both internal (staff, volunteers, community) and external (donors, media, businesses, agencies, churches) audiences
- Prepare timely communications materials and promotional items in support of programming, fundraising, and special events
- Provide support for social media and storytelling for The Mustard Seed by creating content (photos, videos, and copy when needed)
- Maintain media database and public contacts for disseminating information
- Assist with key messaging for media releases, public service announcements, media kits, etc.
- Assist in the production of organizational videos as required for promotional purposes
- Assist with writing stories and research for the quarterly newsletter, monthly electronic newsletter, and campaigns
- Support development events with communication needs
- Participate as a team in communication strategy and planning
- Some administration duties as needed to assist the communications, marketing, and brand department and coordination of The Mustard Seed promotional site
- Assist the Senior Communications Coordinator in Edmonton with communications projects as needed
- A passion to be part of ending homelessness in Alberta and British Columbia and a desire to serve those who are experiencing homelessness and extreme poverty
- Post-secondary education in Marketing or Communications or in a related field
- 3 to 5 years of public relations/marketing experience
- Experience and knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, eBlog, Instagram, Hootsuite, WordPress, and MailChimp
- Self-motivated, proactive, energetic, and goal oriented with superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is considered an asset
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Valid driver's license, access to a reliable vehicle, and clean driver's abstract
- Some weekend and evening work maybe required
- Office environment- more mental than physical-extensive periods of sedentary work
- Fast paced and demanding work environment
- Driver's Abstract and Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to agree and to sign our Statement of Faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents and wellness days.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.