About Our Organization :
When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph's vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play-all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.Job Summary:
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Administrative Assistant within the Parks department. Reporting to the General Manager, Parks, this position will perform a variety of highly responsible and confidential administrative duties primarily to support the General Manager, Leadership team, and their respective business units. The successful candidate will have excellent organizational skills with a focus on quality customer service. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision for an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
Hours of work
35 hours per week, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. Occasional evening and/or weekend work may be required.
- Provide administrative support to the General Manager of Parks, and the entire department including the handling of sensitive and confidential matters; ensure deadlines are met
- Proactively create and maintain effective workflow and communications to support the work of the General Manager and the department; provide assistance using independent judgement to determine items that require priority attention.
- Manage the General Manager's professional calendar; coordinate and schedule meetings and ensure everything runs in a smooth, timely manner.
- Deliver professional assistance and customer service to community members, clients and other internal/external contacts; acting as the first point of contact directing requests appropriately
- Assist in the preparation of the department budget, quarterly variance reporting, and reserve account balances for business units.
- Coordinate meetings, some including external stakeholders including scheduling of meetings, agenda preparation, consolidation and distribution of meeting materials, managing of action items, taking minutes and managing virtual meeting requirements.
- Assist in preparation of purchase orders, process invoices, employee reimbursements, and reconcile department charge card statements.
- Manage Council/Committee reports for the department ensuring staff reports are submitted and deadlines are met, coordinate updates to the Agenda Forecast system, and ensure reports are Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) compliant; edit and offer suggestions to all reports; track, monitor and ensure reporting on outstanding motions.
- Provide Administrative support on special departmental and/or corporate projects, initiatives and events.
- Act as back up to other corporate administrative positions including supporting other General Managers, taking minutes on projects, calendar management, redirecting customers etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in Business Administration, Office Administration, or closely related discipline and considerable experience providing administrative support to a senior manager. Candidates with equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in a municipal environment is preferred.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative and customer service skills with the ability to deal with all levels of staff, council, internal and external stakeholders, and the general public courteously and efficiently.
- A team-oriented person with demonstrable initiative and excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to prepare reports and presentations on behalf of the department
- Ability to respect and maintain strict confidentiality and integrity.
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 programs including One Note and Teams.
- Knowledge of AODA document requirements is an asset.
In accordance with the City of Guelph's employment practices, new employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, subject to accommodations required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
$55,200 - $69,000
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday, June 27, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.