Date Posted: 06/16/2022
Req ID: 25082
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: Office of Communications and Public Affairs
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00044469
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada's leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
The Arts and Science Communications Office at the University of Toronto is responsible for bringing awareness to the Faculty's key audiences, regarding the strengths and achievements of our faculty, students, and staff. We achieve awareness by making certain that our diverse audience fully understands the information communicated, regardless of the media used. This involves conveying key information in a professional, comprehensive manner.
Under the general direction of the Director, Communications and Media Relations, the incumbent is responsible for the planning, development, execution and evaluation of the Faculty's social media content and strategies - and other web and digital communications - to enhance the Faculty's public reach, community engagement and reputation.
Responsibilities includes developing and executing an annual social media plan and related promotional campaigns, content and strategies in coordination with the department's editorial content plan and calendar. The incumbent is responsible for creating and editing digital content and templates, overseeing and maintaining the Faculty's social media accounts, and identifying new opportunities for social media channels, content, campaigns and strategies. They provide guidance on matters related to social media content, strategies and platformsas well as training and expert knowledge of best practices in digital content and production and proactively creating and/or coordinating the development, cataloguing and evaluation of digital content including electronic newsletters, videos, photography, templates, presentations, infographics and other assets.
It is required that this role is working across the Faculty's departments and institutes, as well as with central and divisional communications offices to develop resources and align institutional goals around social media management and protocols and driving increased use of and engagement with the Faculty's digital properties among key constituencies, and realizing communications objectives. The incumbent also monitors and evaluates the Faculty's digital communications content and channel activities, and report on the effectiveness of our digital communications plans to ensure that our online communications best reflect the Faculty's vision, mission, brand and strategic priorities.
Your responsibilities will include:
Developing and implementing social media operational procedures and best practices that support strategic objectives
- Developing and implementing marketing plans (social media) to promote programs, events and/or initiatives that support strategic objectives
- Creating and maintaining presence on social media platforms
- Advising clients, including other units and the dean, on social media strategies and planning activities
- Advising on strategies to maximize social media presence and growth
- Preparing schedules for the release of pre-planned social media content
- Advising on social media trends and platformsto enhance digital communication strategies
- Tracking and monitoring social media analytics
Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, digital media or related field or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and education
- Minimum five (5) years' recent and related experience in public relations and digital communications
- Proven experience developing social media and digital communications plans
- Experience developing and managing social media content, communities, campaigns and strategies
- Experience writing and editing web and social media content
- Professional experience managing a variety of media andsocial media platforms (e.g. YouTube, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Sprout Social)
- Experience using social media to communicate with target audiences
- Experience writing and editing content for news stories, videos, presentations, web and social media
- Experience and understanding of best practices in accessible, user-centred design and content creation
- Experience working with many varieties of databases and producing detailed reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis to make recommendations towards improving workflow/procedures/protocol
- Proven experience in strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with a thorough understanding ofthe best practices in accessible, user-centred online writing and content creation advanced investigation, writing, editing and interviewing skills for various formats
- Strong story development and project management skills
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and persuasively with both technical and non-technical staff and faculty members
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional computer skills and expertise in software applications for word processing, web publishing and design
- Good command over HTML 5, CSS, Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, and dynamic web languages
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
Closing Date: 06/24/2022, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget - Term Note: This is a term position ending in January 2024
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 13 - $75,529 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $96,590. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Recruiter: Becky Lee
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.