Position title: Junior Events Coordinator
Department: Conference & Catering
Reports to: Senior Conference & Catering Manager
Employee status: Hourly, Full-time
Hours per week: 35
Compensation: Group 3 (MoveUP 378)
Date revised: Oct 2018
This position is required to support the Student Bookings Representative and Senior Event Coordinator roles. Plan, book and execute conferences, weddings, trade shows, business meetings and catered events of commercial clients. In addition, this role is expected to develop, sell, and coordinate all conferences and events to the client's specifications while adhering to all AMS departmental policies and procedures and exemplify a strong commitment to guest satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for selling, planning, booking and executing in cooperation with the operational team conferences and catered events to meet and exceed established sales goals
- Reserve all bookable rooms in the Nest for internal AMS clients including Student Council, Student Executive Committee, Services, Resource groups, Constituencies, Clubs and departments and maintain the Class Bookings Program.
- Advise groups of policies and procedures and insurance requirements that they must comply with in order to hold licensed functions or serve food at their events
- Direct groups to the appropriate department for any equipment or services they may require.
- Assist groups who require set up and arrange for set up staff and charge organizations for SOCAN fees, security fees, and equipment rentals.
- Distribute daily record of room bookings and the equipment or services associated with them and communicate changes in room locations to affected parties
- Coordinate all internal and external bookings to ensure there are no conflicts.
- Monitor use of all bookable areas to ensure authorized use.
- During conference season, vacation coverage and busy periods provide support to the Senior Events Coordinators with event consultation, planning, services and on-site service for clients.
- Maintaining working relationships with all civic and industry organizations, corporate promotional contacts, and event and booking representatives. Serving as a liaison with outside agencies on ongoing promotional campaigns
- Prospecting and closing new business and providing event consultation and planning services to clients by assessing meeting objectives and recommending specialized services. Up selling food and beverage services and additional functions to achieve established revenue goals
- Planning the logistics for a wide range of events, catering, meetings and conferences, etc
- Ensure all necessary contracts, payments, invoicing, and other accounting matters are submitted in a timely manner as per the society's procedures.
- Distributing evaluation surveys to clients who have experienced AMS conferences and catering services
- Promoting a positive, service oriented image of the AMS to all who apply to use our facilities and services
- Conducting site tours / visits with potential clients
- Keep current with industry trends
- Working with the AMS mission statement and values to operate a successful department
- Other duties as required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 2 years of post-secondary education in a related field
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a customer service and sales environment, ideally in hospitality or tourism
- Proven track record in achieving sales targets and familiarity with utilizing selling techniques is required
- Ability to work effectively with students and external clients of AMS in an enthusiastic and positive way
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills especially with conflict resolution
- Experience in event coordination and/ or meeting planning is an asset
- Must be able to prioritize, organize and work in a team environment
- Must have ability to work under pressure and under own initiative
- Basic knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge of Caterease software is an asset
Please submit your resume and cover letter.
The Alma Mater Society of UBC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status or any other characteristic protected by law. We invite all qualified candidates to apply online with their resume and cover letter. Due to the large volume of resumes we receive at the AMS, we are only able to contact those we are interested in interviewing and cannot reply to email/phone/walk-in inquiries regarding application