Open to both Internal and external
Support Staff (CUPE)
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
Closing date for internal CUPE applicants
Internal CUPE applicants must submit their application by 4pm on the ?closing date for internal CUPE applicants? for their Seniority to be recognized. If the position is still open after that date they will be considered alongside external applicants.
Applications will be reviewed commencing the ?closing date for internal CUPE applicants? and may continue until the position is filled
Auxiliary (Under 4 Months)
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
The Hours of work are subject to change depending upon departmental requirements
The hours of work will be Monday to Friday, 7 hours a day, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
As and when required.
The Graphic Designer provides, promotes and maintains a consistent and audience-appropriate standard of graphic design for all institutional marketing and communication materials, within the established marketing and communication standards of the university. The Graphic Designer will develop creative concepts, layout and design and electronic pre-press files for both web and print-based institutional marketing and communications, for a wide variety of client areas, and for a wide range of projects.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops creative and effective marketing and communications visual concepts, design and layouts for multiple media, a wide range of client areas and a wide variety of projects.
- Creates graphic design materials for print and online environments, including websites, handouts, posters, newsletters, signage, advertisements, digital marketing assets, etc.).
- Stays current in generating engaging, memorable visual and copy concepts by researching design trends and changes in web based applications and communication channels.
- Ensures digital files meet specifications for pre-press and digital offset printer and/or web applications including digital pre-press specifications, document pagination, and preparing RIP ready files.
- In collaboration with other graphic designers, contributes to the development, maintenance and updating of graphic, visual identity usage and logo guidelines for the university.
- Develops user-friendly graphic templates to enable marketing and communications to divest simple graphic requirements to departments around the university.
- Provides support to outside departments and committees on working with templates, institutional graphic standards, the use of editable PDFs, preparing graphics for the web and other production technologies.
- Develops and maintains files and records, both electronic and hard copy.
- Works directly with clients to clarify and determine project goals.
- Supports the needs of the AVP, Marketing & Communications, Media Relations & Communications Manager and Manager, Web Strategy.
- Takes photographs of institutional events, individuals and initiatives to high levels of quality and versatility for reproduction in various electronic and print media.
Associate Vice-President, Marketing & Communications
- Grade 12 plus completion of a two-year post-secondary program in graphic design or equivalent
- Five years' related experience in electronic publishing, graphic and web design, print production and pre-press technology and design in a Macintosh computer environment
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Knowledge of print production, on both web and offset presses
- Ability to work in a Macintosh or Windows environment
- Understanding of marketing concepts in the context of various print and digital media
- Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment and coordinate multiple projects within tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing
- Strong ability to work as a team player and collaborate with others to develop, fine-tune and produce effective visual concepts, designs and layouts
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to high levels of productivity on assigned projects, often to tight deadlines
- Strong ability to effectively manage multiple assignments, often with competing deadlines
- Ability to troubleshoot technical problems and provide support for computer software
- Demonstrated ability (through portfolio) to create and maintain a consistent and audience-appropriate standard of graphic design across web, print and multi-media materials
- Knowledge of process and spot colour specifications
- Working at a desk and computer for long periods of time
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview
The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists.
CUPE Grade 08 $29.78
Please Note: This position may be subject to a 90% salary for the first 560 hours of employment.
Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University -> Marketing and Communications
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
NOTE: To learn more about Thompson Rivers University or living in Kamloops or Williams Lake please visit our Career website.