Date Posted: 06/02/2022
Req ID: 24648
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Information
Department: Faculty of Information
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00049311
The Faculty, which will celebrate its centenary in 2028, has built on its heritage strengths in libraries, archives and museums to incorporate scientific and technological expertise from engineering, computer science, and other disciplines. At the same time, it has committed itself to applying social, political, and cultural perspectives from media arts, humanities, and social science to the study of information, technology, people and the relationships among them.
The Faculty currently offers two Master's degree programs, namely, a Master of Museum Studies (MMSt),and a Master of Information (MI), as well as a Combined MI/MMSt Degree Program (CDP) and a Graduate Diploma of Advanced Study in Information Studies (DAIS). The Faculty also offers a PhD program and in 2019 it introduced a Bachelor of Information (BI) program.
MI Students can specialize in one or two concentrations including Archives and Records Management, Library and Information Sciences, Information Systems and Design, User Experience Design and Human-Centred Data Science.
A top tier school, the Faculty of Information is consistently ranked in the top five Library and Information Management graduate programs by the QS world university rankings. The QS rankings include both Master's and PhD level programs.
More background about the Faculty can be found on its website (ischool.utoronto.ca).
The Communications Coordinator supports the Senior Communications Officer and the faculty with updating and producing content for the Faculty's website and social media platforms in accordance with the Faculty's communications goals. Given that digital platforms are continuously evolving, the Communications Coordinator will be well versed in trends and developments, and will help identify the best methods and initiatives to reach priority audiences.
This position straddles the two worlds of communications and technology. The Communications Coordinator must be an excellent writer and editor, experienced at writing and producing engaging, dynamic and impactful content for all the Faculty's high-priority online media including social media. At the same time, the Communication Coordinator must be technologically adept, with skills and knowledge that enable them to make the most of the software and platforms used by the Faculty of Information in its digital communications. The Communications Coordinator will also from time to time work collaboratively with contract web designers and developers. The Communications Coordinator provides back-up and overflow support for events.
Your responsibilities will include:
Coordinating tasks for projects and other strategic initiatives with stakeholders
- Determining the logistics required for the implementation of communication initiatives
- Producing promotional and outreach materials
- Writing and editing digital communications
- Verifying that all digital communication collateral adheres to brand identity and University style guides
- Advising on strategies to align websites with marketing/communication objectives
- Advising on social media trends and platforms to enhance digital communication strategies
- Determining logistical details and activities for events and/or programming
Bachelor's degree in digital communications, public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, public affairs or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum four (4) years of relevant experience in communications with successful project management experience in digital communication; maintaining social media platforms and analytics to create community and establish on-line presence; establishing social media campaigns; research, writing and compiling information and data reports; developing content for promotional and outreach materials and contributing to the planning of communication strategic initiatives
- Experience as a content developer/journalist/editor in an online environment
- A demonstrated understanding of best practices in information architecture, navigation, user experience design, accessibility standards and testing is required
- Experience in implementing content management systems and using social and digital media tools in a multi-contributor environment and as part of a large and complex organization or business
- Experience supporting multiple communication priorities and projects
- Experience with WordPress, social media, photography, photo editing, and graphic design
- Experience with web design, graphic design principles and photography
- Experience with executing events, including determining logistical details and activities, arranging catering, and booking rooms and audio-visual resources
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe, InDesign, Photoshop, Mailchimp and Hootsuite HTML and CSS
- Must have excellent writing and editing skills with a particular understanding of the best practices for writing in an online environment and sound editorial judgment and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to make complicated academic ideas and concepts clear to a broader audience
- Must have a high level of attention-to-detail and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members and establish effective working relationships
- Strong ability to work effectively under pressure and meet competing deadlines
- Excellent time management, oral and written communication skills and have the ability to concisely summarize information
- Demonstrated ability to be an imaginative, creative, collaborative team player
- Available to work evenings and weekends for events support, and for capturing content for communications material (i.e., photography)
Work experience in a large, complex business or non-profit organization
- Knowledge and familiarity with Faculty of Information and University of Toronto
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
Closing Date: 06/15/2022, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget - Term
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 09 - $59,412 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $75,979. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Recruiter: Jasmin Olarte
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, person with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encourage to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.