Staff - Non Union
Job CategoryM&P - AAPS
Job ProfileAAPS Salaried - Information Services, Level B
Job TitleWriter/Content Strategist
DepartmentUBCO | Communications and Marketing | University Relations
Compensation Range5,906.25 - $8,508.42 CAD Monthly
Posting End DateMay 31, 2022
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Job Description Summary
UBC Okanagan combines the resources and reputation of one of the world's top universities with a young and dynamic campus that offers a transformative university experience in an extraordinary place.
Every day, UBC Okanagan students, alumni, faculty and staff generate inspiring stories. The content strategist is responsible for bringing those UBC Okanagan stories to life by developing persuasive, accessible, compelling and inspirational copy in all forms and media for a full range of audiences.
These stories will help build awareness of how UBC Okanagan is opening minds to new possibilities and inspiring the potential in students and scholars to make new connections that drive economic, scienti?c, social, and cultural change.
This position reports directly to the Associate Director, Communications and Marketing, University Relations with functional instruction from the Associate Director, Public Affairs, University Relations. The position is allocated 50 per cent to Communications and Marketing and 50 per cent to Public Affairs.
This position maintains strong working relationships with the Communications and Marketing Strategist responsible for content, the digital marketing team, the graphic design team, other University Relations team members and UBC Okanagan campus communicators. Works closely with students, faculty, staff, alumni and community partners.
Writing and editing services
- Implements a comprehensive editorial policy across communications channels that is consistent with UBC Okanagan's overall strategic communications goals.
- Researches and writes content that effectively communicates with the target audience and fulfills project objectives. This includes writing headlines, editorial copy, news releases, story outlines, video scripts, project briefs, social media copy, advertising copy, reports, articles, announcements, remarks and rewriting of other's copy.
- Edits for style, substance, and organization; reorganizes text to create consistency in grammar, format, message, and voice, recommends substantive editorial changes as needed.
- Reviews, proofs, and fact-checks copy, and provides layout-ready copy according to style guide specifications.
- Creates content and assets for digital channels including websites, social media channels and digital signage. Provides ad-hoc training for staff where needed on best practices around social media and web content production.
- Curates, defines and assembles necessary content assets with the graphic designers, digital communications, communications strategists and the project leads
- Produces effective and visually appealing communication materials and digital assets for various clients, including physical and digital signage, newsletters, presentations, promotional materials and event-specific materials. Produces video clips, takes photographs and utilizes various media platforms to aid in storytelling.
Communications strategy and project management
- Consults with stakeholders on messages, audience, delivery and best practices for communications and provides recommendations on the appropriate media and format.
- Delivers on project timelines and budgets, and develops contingency plans to keep projects on track.
- Manages projects and coordinates workflow of content providers, editors and designers, and external partners.
- Works within University Relations and with campus communicators to facilitate collaborative content opportunities including original and curated content and opportunities to cross-promote effectively across both campuses and to the wider community.
- Maintains a consistent tone of voice and verbal system for UBC Okanagan to be aligned to the UBC brand, including the Tone and Voice Guide, Brand Editorial Guide, Indigenous Communications Guide, etc.
Participates in other communications services
- Develops, analyzes, and shares communication and marketing metrics. Creates infographics and other visual aids to amplify data-driven stories and case studies.
- Provide digital storytelling coaching, training and best practices to campus communicators to build community, competency and consistency in telling UBC's story, including through educational presentations and workshops.
- Cultivates strong relationships with internal clients and helps maintain the reputation of University Relations through professionalism and positive contributions in meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
This role exercises initiative and judgement in establishing priorities and carrying tasks through to completion, and must demonstrate tact and discretion. Works independently and as a team member within established guidelines and standards. Work is reviewed in terms of achievement of defined goals. Makes decisions regarding writing and editing communication materials, and communications projects. Error in the performance of duties or inappropriate disclosure of confidential information could be very serious for the university as it concerns the public image and profile of the UBC Okanagan campus on a provincial, national and international level.
Reports to the AD Communications and Marketing with functional instruction from the AD Public Affairs.
May coordinate the work of staff where needed. Explains work procedures to new or inexperienced staff. May direct the work of internal and external service providers.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- Minimum of five years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Relevant disciplines include marketing, communications, journalism, or management.
- Related experience includes content development, ad copy writing or other editing work requiring excellent knowledge of English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Demonstrated experience in communications/marketing consulting, writing, and publishing in high-volume production environment, with both print and web output.
- Photography experience an asset.
- Advanced understanding of digital media and social media and knowledge of web content management systems (particularly WordPress). Familiarity with blogs, wikis and basic HTML is an asset.
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat and the Microsoft Office suite and familiarity with databases or other project management software is important.
- Professional experience in a post-secondary institution or similar environment an asset.
- Ability to adapt writing styles for various purposes, for different media requirements and for different audiences.
- Ability to compose correspondence, reports, presentations and other written materials using clear concise business language.
- Demonstrated understanding of marketing, communications, media relations, and usability best practices.
- Effective oral and written communication and interpersonal, presentation, and public relations skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, teamwork and motivational skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, and discretion when working with confidential and/or sensitive information and in dealing with various levels within the university.
- Capacity for creativity and research; ability to exercise initiative, resourcefulness, and judgment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and within team and to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to assess own performance and report on project status.