Date Posted: 05/18/2022
Req ID: 24096
Faculty/Division: VP & Provost
Department: Hart House
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00032969
About Us - Hart House
Hart House is a centre for experiential education outside the classroom at the University of Toronto. Since it opened in 1919, Hart House functions as a place where students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the broader community connect with each other and the world. Through an array of co-curricular programming in the arts, dialogue and wellness, Hart House works with local and international partners to foster community and to create innovative learning opportunities for students. Hart House operates from a historic facility on the St. George campus, as well as a 150-acre farm in Caledon, Ontario, offering a wide range of services through a social enterprise model that generates revenue to support its student-focused programming on all three University of Toronto campuses.
About Us - Hospitality Services
For over 100 years, Hart House has been delivering exceptional experiences and lasting memories, and our Hospitality Services team supports each meaningful exchange and encounter. Whether our clients are hosting a multi-day hybrid conference, enjoying lunch at the Gallery Grill restaurant, or saying ?I do? in the Great Hall, we pride ourselves on delivering superlative customer service through thoughtful planning, delectable menus, beautifully appointed spaces, and technological expertise. Our team of hospitality professionals is unified around a common goal: to deliver unforgettable experiences that exceed client expectations and contribute to the vibrant community that Hart House welcomes and supports.
Working under the general direction of the Director of Hospitality Services, the Manager, Event Services and Client Success develops and implements a comprehensive and integrated sales and booking strategy, which supports and fosters the broader strategic and business objectives of Hart House. The Manager, ES&CS communicates Hart House's mission and objectives to all team members and leads by example, reinforcing the organization's values daily and inspiring the team with their exciting vision for Hart House Hospitality's future. Working closely with the entire hospitality team, including the Director, Executive Chef, Event Operations Manager, AV Coordinator, and Restaurant Manager, the successful candidate will contribute to strategies and tactics that drive lead generation and conversion as well as client satisfaction andretention, advising on the development of services and offerings that meet the needs of a diverse community made up of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the wider GTA community. The Manager, ES&CS is responsible for the day-to-day operations and administration of Hart House's events and sales office, which is responsible for coordinating room reservations, offering events & catering services, and building and maintaining a loyal client base with prospective and repeat clients. The incumbent will oversee all related staff, schedules and assignment of duties and will manage the maintenance of all pertinent data systems and websites. In concert with the Director, the incumbent will set budgets and will be accountable for all business processes andstandards, ensuring that quality and profitability in operations are met.
Your responsibilities will include:
Assessing needs and contributing to the planning of unit goals and initiative
- Analyzingcustomer service procedures and making recommendations for improvements
- Overseeing day-to-day service delivery requirements and operational needs
- Directing the activities of a group of staff-appointed employees all performing a similar function
- Developing and maintaining procedures for the use of space and equipment
- Analyzing client needs and making recommendations on event logistics and options
- Analyzing and recommending changes to event planning activities
- Fostering positive relationships with stakeholders
Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Hospitality Management, Business, or related field from an accredited institution, or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years related venue sales and event coordination experience in a client-facing role in a large, full-service, high-volume events operation or establishment.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to superlative customer service.
- Strong attention to detail
- Takes initiative to continuously improve delivery of service
- Ability to manage and organize numerous and competing tasks in a high-volume environment
- Strong communication skills (interpersonal, written, verbal)
- Knowledge of event industry and trends
- Knowledge of safety guidelines and fire code
- Commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Strong technical acuity with knowledge of Office 365, scheduling software (ex. Staffmate), project management applications (ex. Asana), reservation/ event management tools (ex. Accruent EMS; Caterease)
Experience and/ or education in project management.
- WPIC and/ or CMP certification.
- Experience working in a start-up business and contributing to research, growth, and development.
- Awareness of campus systems and organizations, and the University's policies and procedures as they relate to student life is an asset.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Achievement oriented
- Motivated self-learner
- Possess a positive attitude
Closing Date: 06/01/2022, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget - Continuing
Schedule: Full-Time Regular daytime schedule, overtime on weekdays, occasional overtime on weekends.
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 14 - $80,198 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $102,562. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Administrative / Managerial
Recruiter: Anita Chooraman
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, person with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.