This 35 hour per week position will work primarily on a virtual basis with the need to attend some meetings. Some travel may be required to attend advisory committee meetings.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Writer/E-learning developer position will work closely with the project team and is responsible for developing plain language written information and materials, video scripts, handouts and user guides and activities for implementation on Moodle and Blackboard LMS's for the revised online course ?Indigenous Skills for Success Journey, Planting the Seeds for Growth?.
- Review written materials from the Aboriginal Essential Skills Journey, Planting the Seeds for Growth course;
- Participate in brainstorming sessions to develop a comprehensive understanding of the project content;
- Work with SME to produce engaging content that is user-friendly and reflects an Indigenous worldview;
- Decode activities to provide clear, plain-language user instructions and guides;
- Attend and participate in project advisory committee meetings;
- Collaborate with the project team to ensure materials meet project goals;
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to create clear, concise and accurate plain-language content;
- Review feedback and suggestions from PAC and pilot participants to revise course materials;
- Develop and manage a workplan to meet project milestones and deadlines;
- Assist the E-Learning Developer to create and upload materials and activities in Moodle and Blackboard LMS environments
- Participate in team meetings;
- Submit monthly activity reports to project coordinators; and
- Other duties as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Educational credential related to online learning, communications, writing education or equivalent experience;
- Essential Skills Practitioner Training (ESPT) Certificate is an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to translate concepts and activities into clear and concise online course content;
- Experience developing plain-language learning materials that are engaging and dynamic for online or print use and for a specific audience;
- Proven ability to work independently using effective time-management and organizational skills;
- Ability to set up online programs using LMS's such as Moodle and Blackboard
- Ability to create variety of interactive engaging learner activities for course (such as games, drag and drop, interactive videos)
- Ability to think outside the box and suggest creative, innovative design ideas;
- Analytic and research skills;
- Passion for writing;
- Aware of and sensitive to diverse cultures.